The Lost Child

Follow me on Instagram! I post updates on the story there! @ emberia_

Song: Mikebøi - Missed

Alexia's POV

I would wake up to find the house empty with just Mrs Garvin and me. Her friend has gotten better and she was once again cooking for Alec.
But as for the owner himself, he rarely showed up. In fact I haven't seen him at all for the last two days.
Caleb was gone too. Mrs Garvin kept saying how busy their roles are and I wanted to believe that, but I didn't understand why did I have to stay here any longer?
I made sure to bring it up when I see Alec next. I needed to go home. I wasn't even able to pick up my mum's things because Alec found out about it, so the doors were locked with only Mrs Garvin and him having the keys.

I tried calling Sophie a few times too, only to get unpleasantly greeted by her voicemail.

I knew she was busy but communicating once in a while would be nice.

My employer also informed me that I can have the rest of the month off but still get paid if I afterwards find a way for Mr Alec Dark to an interview at the business industry I was working at.

Off course I eagerly said yes, but I had no clue how I was going to mention this matter since we barely even say hi to each other.

"You don't have a look on your face, what's wrong?" Mrs Garvin asks with a plum size of curiousity. I gather my thoughts before answering.

"Just lonely." I smile weakly. Off course I thought about my mum. Hopefully, she was better in Heaven than me here on Earth.

"It's okay. Soon you will get used to it." She smiles back at me and I cannot help but recall the memory of her speaking of her husband.

"What happened to your partner...if you don't mind me asking." I almost whisper out the last part.

"Heart attack." Mrs Garvin mumbles out while leaning down to cut some carrot into the pot. In response I whisper a quick sorry but she waves it off like nothing happened.

"How did you start working for Alec?" I decide to ask instead, maybe that would help.

The old female gives out a squeaky laugh before suddenly growing serious. "I've known the Darks for a really long time now. My husband used to be best friends with Alec's father. So when Phill died, Alec so graciously offered me a family. His family have done so much for me. The least I can do is be a decent housekeeper, makes myself useful." Mrs Garvin finishes just as the door closes with a loud smash.

I lean against the counter with a frown on my face.

Into the kitchen enter Alec and Caleb with neutral faces. " What's for dinner?" Alec grunts out to Mrs Garvin who politely gestures to brocolli soup on the table.

"Well hi Alexia?" Caleb looks between Alec and me while smirking widely.

"Caleb." I nod with a fair greeting.

"Mmmmmh. This is really good." Alec cuts off with a smile towards Mrs Garvin. I cannot help but let my anger boil. Clenching my fists, I fold my arms together. So not only her avoided me, he also ignored my presence in all matters.

Alec continued to sip the soup with a spoon until Mrs Garvin said, "You should tell that to Alexia. She cooked it." Mrs Garvin grins my way. I did help to make it, but my part was just stirring the mixture, everything else was Mrs Garvin's work.

Just as the words leave her mouth, Alec chokes on the soup. Quickly wiping his mouth, he let's out a cough while Caleb smirks even further. "Too much salt indeed." Alec says with a huff and leaves the room.