How do I fix this?

I am so bored. Tyler had to take Parker home, so I'm laying on the couch feeling pretty helpless. I wish Josh would hurry up and get home. I called him half an hour ago.

Just as I was about to grab my phone and call him again, he walked in the door. He saw me and looked relieved. "I'm glad you're here."

I looked around. "Where else would I be. It hurts like hell to move."

"Yeah whatever. I need to talk to you about something serious."

I pushed myself into sitting position so he could sit down. "What's going on bub?"

He took a deep breath. "Exactly how much do you know about cancer and stuff?"

"Uh not much. Why? Josh, what's up?" I asked. This isn't something anyone, especially Josh, would bring up out of no where.

"Because..." He trailed off, looking down at the floor.

"Josh, tell me what this is about?" He's scaring me.

He took a breath. "Because there's this girl I know who has Leukemia."

I relaxed. "Never scare me like that again."

"No Ebony, you don't get it." He said, shaking his head. "I like her...like REALLY like her."

Oh no. "I guess that changes things."

He looked at me helplessly. "What do I do Eb? How do I fix this?"

"Josh...you can't do anything. This is completely out of our hands. I mean there are treatments she can go through that might help, but-"

"But I should just give up hope because the chances of her getting better are slim. I understand. Thanks for the help." He said, standing up.

I reached out and grabbed his sleeve. "That is not what I meant. Now sit down and talk to me about this."

He threw his hands in the air. "What is there to talk about?! How the first girl I've ever had real feelings for is dying? What is going to happen if they can't treat it? How about the fact that everyone thinks she's a slut just because of the people she hangs out with, and that makes her feel a lot worse than she already does? I'm tired of not being able to help her Eb." He sunk back down on the couch and I wrapped my arms around him. "No one understands why I hang out with her. Not even Adam gets it. I'm not trying to sleep with her, I just don't know when my last day with her will be. I can't waste my time."

"Does Adam know?" I asked. Surely Adam isn't thinking this while he knows the girl is sick AND that his best friend likes her.

"No. She doesn't want me talking about it to anyone, but I had to tell someone. I figured you would be the best person." He said.

I would have smiled if I wasn't in the middle of comforting my baby brother. The fact that he can trust me enough to tell me something this personal makes me feel good.

"What's her name?" I asked.

"Kressa."

I nodded. I have heard Josh mention her a few times, but never really thought much about it. "Is she getting treatment?"

"I don't know. She's gone to the doctor, but I don't know how far into this she is. I just want it to be gone."

"I know Josh. I wish I could do something, I really do. But this is just something you have to leave up to fate no matter how much you hate to do it."

"Fate has never really been on my side when it comes to this kind of stuff." He mumbled.

I hugged him tighter. "Have a positive attitude Joshy."

"What's that going to do? It won't make her any better."

"Well it's better than thinking about the worst. If you think about the good things, both of you will probably feel better."

He didn't say anything. Both of us sat there in silence for a long time. I never thought I would see the day Josh would fall for a girl, and now that he has, he finds this out. I know if the doctors can't treat this and she dies, Josh will feel like he can't fall in love again. That's just how his brain works.

The doorbell rang and both of us jumped. We looked at each other. No one ever rings the doorbell. Most people just walk in.

"I'll get it." Josh said, getting up.

I leaned back on the couch while he went to answer the door. I wonder if he would be willing to make me food. Would that be a good idea? Maybe I shouldn't ask him to use a stove...I think my dad likes the house when it's not on fire.

"Why are you here?" I heard Josh ask. I guess it's someone he didn't want to see. Or maybe someone I don't want to see. I swear if it's Parker, I'm beating him with a crutch.

"Now is that anyway to talk to your mother?"

No. No way. She did not get the nerve to come back here. But she did. She walked in here with a huge suitcase like she owned the place.

"Ebony honey, would you mind taking my things to the guest room?" She asked.

My mouth dropped. Is she being serious? "Yes, actually I do mind. If you can't already tell, I have a sprained ankle and I'm not able to move. Even if I could move, I wouldn't help you because you don't have any right to be here. So if you want to come back into this town, I suggest you stay at a hotel because we don't want you here."

She kept an emotionless look on her face, something she has always been good at when people are trying to make her mad. "Your sister called and told me to come here. I assumed you all had been informed."

"Well we weren't. So goodbye."

She shook her head. "I'm not leaving Ebony. I'm your mother and I have every right to be in my house."

"You're house?! When you left and never came back, this stopped being your house! When you sent dad the divorce papers from Fiji, that was you saying you don't want to live here anymore! This is not your house and it hasn't been for five years. Sorry...actually I'm not."

She sighed and turned to Josh. Of course she would completely ignore me. She always did before, why would she stop? "Josh would please take this to the guest room."

I bit my lip. I know Josh has held a grudge against our mom, but I also know he missed her for a long time. I don't know if his anger would win out now.

He shook his head. "I can't. Sorry, but you don't belong here anymore mom."

I almost laughed at the look on her face. I don't think I've ever been more proud of my brother.

"Where's your sister?" She asked.

"If you think just because she wants you here, dad is going to let you stay, you need to think again. He doesn't want you here either." I told her.

As if on cue, dad walked in the house with his arms around a woman I had never seen before. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw my mother. This just got really interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Ok I have some words to say! Lol. I can make Josh's love life very happy, or a living hell. This all depends on the feedback I get from you all. Also, they're mother is going to be there for the chapter or so. You won't have to deal with her and her bitchyness for long. And they're father has a woman with him! Who is she? How is this all going to play out? I want you guys to tell me, because I haven't completely made up my mind and I might just use your ideas if I think they're good. So vote and comment! :)

P.S. Sorry for the length. I thought this would be longer, but turns out I was wrong.