68. Walls

Walls

Niall: He's patient, letting you take the time you need in order to let him in. He doesn't want to push you or seem too eager but he's dying to know you. He wants to know what makes you tick, and what you dream about at night. He wants to know how your relationship with your mom is, and if you want kids one day. He knows you've had a rough past, that you've been hurt and that you're scared to trust again. He knows that, he's been there. "Please," he whispered, his fingers delicately tracing your lower lip. The roughness of his skin made you shiver. He wanted to know you. You could see the desperation on his face and you knew that what you were doing was unfair. He'd been so open with you, so honest. He bared his soul to you without a second thought. "I'm scared," you whispered, your hand covering his as he cupped your cheek. "What if you leave?" He saw that fear all over your face and in your eyes. "I won't baby," he said gently, scooping you into his arms so he could tuck your head under his chin. "How do you know?" You asked meekly, hating this part of yourself. "Because no one will ever make me feel the way you do, no one will ever mean as much, I want you to trust me and know that I'd never break you heart," you let his fingers soothe you as they ran up and down your back. You did trust Niall, trusted him more than anyone else. "Okay," you said so soft Niall thought he misheard you. "Okay?" He pulled back, smoothing the hair way from your face. You told him everything, your past, your fears, your heart break and how you didn't think you'd ever find anyone who meant what he did to you. When you were done he kissed your tears away, thinking that he never loved you more.

Zayn: He wants you to come to him when you're ready. He doesn't want to pressure you. When you open up, he wants it to be because you're ready and that's it. Of course he's impatient and he's dying to know you and what makes you so guarded, he just isn't sure what he needs to do to get you to trust him. He thought about it for a while and thought of the things that mattered to him. Like his art. He normally had a no entry rule when it came to his spray paint room, but if he wanted your trust he had to give you his too. So when he took your hand and let you inside, your brows knotted in confusion. "This is the most intimate part of myself," he said gesturing to the walls. "I haven't really taken anyone in here," you could see him on the walls. You saw what he cared about, what he held dear. There were a few cartoons here and there and some scribbles. His moms name was also scrawled on the top and your breath caught. "So why did you bring me in here?" You asked quietly. "Because I trust you," he answered back, his eyes on you as you looked at each wall. "I want you to know me, just like I want to know you," that made you stop. He had a point. Zayn was in each brush stroke on the wall, he was in the colors and the time spent. This was who Zayn was. "You're right," you whispered back. His heart was beautiful and absolutely pure. He ordered pizza and you sat on the floor of his paint room, taking turns and telling details the other didn't know yet. You found it easier than you thought to reveal the parts of yourself you had kept hidden. His eyes were gentle as you spoke and his hand found yours when you couldn't get it out. "I'm here," he said, kissing your fingers. "You can lean on me."

Liam: He doesn't know what to do. He's at his wits end with this. He's watched you doubt this, tear it apart because you were scared. He didn't know what you were so afraid of. He had told you time and time again to relax and that he was here. He wasn't going anywhere. But no matter how many times he said it, you still had doubts. "What are you scared of?" He finally said one night, tired of trying to figure it out. "I have a hard time trusting people," you muttered, eyes to the floor. "This is me, babe, you can trust me." He saw something in your eyes that he'd never seen before. Fear. "I know," you said meekly, taking two steps back. That's when it hit him. "Who was it?" He growled, eyes black in the light as his fists clenched. "It doesn't matter anymore," he stalked forward until he had your face in his hands. He checked your skin for bruises or scars but found none. "I'll kill him," he said darkly. You shook your head and wrapped your arms around him. "Don't," you protested, eyes on his. "Everything's been better since you came along," you whispered. His hands relaxed on yours and suddenly he looked tired. "I'm sorry I yelled. I'll be as patient as you want. What do you need?" He asked, his voice smooth as honey. "I need..." You struggled for the words and he grinned softly like a little kid on Christmas. "Can I keep you?" He asked, his eyes bright. You laughed, a bubbly laughter that had tears following directly behind it. "Yes," you said, opening your heart back off. Softly, he kissed you not wanting to scare you off. "I know what I need," you said against his lips. "I need you, just you." He pulled you back to his mouth, his lips brushing more. "You'll always have me."

Louis: He's so damn frustrated. He doesn't know what else to do. He's been nothing but patient, kind, loyal. He still couldn't understand why couldn't open up to him. It was hurting him, to know that you didn't fully trust him. "What do you want me to do?" You shouted, angry tears filling your eyes. "I want you to talk to me!" He yelled back, his hands fisted by his sides. "I can't!" He didn't understand, he didn't know what you had been through. That was partially your fault but your walls had been built so high that no one had ever tempted to climb it. Until now. He was so close to tearing them down, ripping the things that held you together. "And whys that?" The sass was strong as he answered you, his hands fisting on his hips. "Because I'm scared you'll run!" You finally said, your tone defeated. He blinked, genuinely shocked that you think that. "You think I'd leave?" He asked astonished. "I know you would and you mean more to me than I ever thought," you wiped your tears away impatiently as he came toward you. "Babe, whatever you told me wouldn't change anything. I love you, I love you," he said again as he reached your side. "So give me time, please," you begged and he placed his hands on your shoulders. "Time for what?" He didn't understand. "To tell you everything. I've been so broken," you cried, eyes fresh with tears. He crushed you to his chest, his lips on your temple. "You'll never be there again," he promised harshly. "I'll never break you, baby. You're too precious to me," he kissed your years away, his lips softly caressing your skin. "I trust you," you whispered back. He visibly froze. You'd never said those words before and Louis knew what that meant. You were letting him in, you were letting him love you in the way he dreamed. From the inside out. There was nothing he didn't want to give you, nothing he'd deny you, "I've got you, love," he said solemnly, "and I will never let you go."

Harry: He wants to prove that you can trust him. He doesn't want to know that you doubt him even for a second. He didn't care much what he had to do, just so long at the end of the day you knew he'd always be there. After all, isn't that what terrified you? You'd been hurt before, treated like you were nothing and the knowledge of that left Harry furious. How could anyone break you? "You're different," you finally said to him one night. You saw the effort he made to be there for you, how he went out of his way for you. His biggest concern was if you were happy. He ways believed actions spoke louder than words. "What do you mean?" He asked. Your head was tilted to the side as you studied him. "You treat me," you said slowly, "how I always wanted to be treated." His eyes closed as he took a deep breath, his heart breaking inside his chest. The fact that you had to thank him for treating you decently broke his heart. "You deserve everything in the world," he whispered, his hand reaching out for yours. "It's a privilege to be the one to give it to you." You smiled, letting him pull you into a hug. You were scared at first but Harry was different. He sat and took the time to get to know you. He was patient, understanding. He let you take your time and work through the hard parts. He held you while you cried and he helped you build yourself back up again. He was superglue, fixing the long broken down walls of your heart. "You've fixed me," you gave him a radiant smile, one he had never seen before. He watched you come alive again, he watched you crawl out of your shell. Love could destroy, but it could also rebuild. He didn't think he'd ever seen anything more beautiful than someone blooming as they fell in love.