33. Childhood

Childhood

Niall: All the other kids in the class bang on the instruments, with no rhythm, just making noise, all except you and another boy. He sits quietly in the corner, studying the guitar with curiosity, plucking at the strings. Ignoring the rest of your classmates, you make your way over to him, accidentally startling him when you sit down. His fingers still as he looks up at you. "Can you play guitar?" you ask. "Not really, but I want to." You nod in agreement and he smiles, cheeks blushing because he's pretty sure he just made a new friend.

Liam: You hear a shout from your place on the monkey bars, dropping down to find the source. On the soccer field, you see Liam, a boy from your class, lying on the ground with an older boy above him. Before the bully can do any more damage, you step in front of him. "Leave Liam alone!" The older boy laughs until you kick his shin, then winces and decides to go pick on someone his own size. "Thanks," he mumbles, giving you a shy smile because how can he show his true gratitude?

Harry: His curls stick out every which way from the tiara you've placed on his head, along with the feather boa and bright red lipstick. "Why do I have to be the girl?" he whines. You roll your eyes before telling him you're going to be the rescuer, doing the jobs no stinky boy could ever do. He could just quit and go home but he doesn't really mind, it's kind of fun actually. Not to mention your mom always has cookies and juice on the counter and you always kiss his cheek after rescuing him. He likes it when you kiss his cheek.

Louis: "Give it back, Lewis." You stomp your foot at the boy who dangles your hat out of your reach, wagging his finger in your face. "Don't call me that and maybe I will." A staring contest ensues, glaring at each other until you finally give in. "Fine. Please give me back my hat, Louis." He chuckles loudly, dropping the hat a little closer to your waiting hands, only inches from your grasp. "Well since you asked so nicely," and with that he drops it, laughing when you grab at it before it can hit the floor. Even though you stick your tongue out at him and call him names, you don't really mean it, because in all honesty you find yourself having fun.

Zayn: Intently, you watch as Zayn draws on your arm with his black marker, wondering what kind of tattoo you'll end up with today. The two of you sit quietly at your own table in the art room, expressing your art a little differently than the rest of the kids. Zayn's little bottom lip gets sucked in between a few missing teeth as he concentrates, drawing once again another dragon because he knows it's your favorite. That's why he likes you. All the other girls want unicorns and fairies, but you want dragons and knights, and he likes to imagine himself as your knight in shining armor.