Chapter 19

Ever since Elysia had agreed to marry a royal from another kingdom, she felt continuously more oppressed. Lately she had been making strides to earn her father's respect. However, after one week of behaving like a good princess, she finally reached her limit. Being confined to the castle grounds was too much to bare any longer. She needed to break free and get into mischief or she would be driven mad.

So, Elysia schemed all day and then waited until dark. The whole castle was asleep except for maybe her and the night watchmen. The only thing she worried about was the consciousness of her guardian. If he were asleep, then she could easily exit her bedroom door and walk confidently out of the castle. If he were awake, she would be in trouble.

Unfortunately, the only way to tell would be to leave her room. She crept over to the corner of her room, felt for her cloak, slipped it around her, and tied it securely around her body.

Then, she soundlessly crept over to the door of her bedroom. Gently she turned the knob until she was able to crack the door open. Her breathing slowed as she further opened the door and peered her head outside.

As always, her guardian was seated on the floor outside of her bedroom, his knees close to his chest and his head hanging low. The dark hood of his cloak was pulled over his face, concealing his eyes.

Elysia took a moment to stare at him, attempting to see if he was actually awake or not. His body was completely still except for the slight movement of his chest rising and falling with each breath.

The princess almost hoped he would move, just so she could see how he would react. She kept her eyes on him, doing her best not to blink. She didn't want to miss any signs of movement.

After a moment she braved a step forward. In that instance she noticed he did not move at all, but she heard his voice loud and clear. "Go back to bed, Princess."

She let out a heavy sigh of defeat. Elysia knew there was no arguing with him and she also knew there was no persuading him to get her way. He was unrelenting. No matter what she did or said he never budged.

"Fine," she muttered, turning quickly to retreat to her bedroom.

She lie awake for hours that night scheming of ways to escape. After a while she finally devised a plan in which she would leave the castle through her bedroom window and scale down the castle walls. The task would be hard but at least she would succeed. There was no way her guardian would be able to hear her leave through the window. And--thanks to his constant position outside her bedroom door--she would have a head start to leave.

The princess was so satisfied with her new plan that she spent the entire next day in good spirits.

"Elysia, you've been suspiciously willing and attentive during your lesson today," her grandmother commented as they transitioned to the next lesson.

"Have I?" Elysia asked, feigning innocence. "I guess I'm excited to learn."

Maria eyed her granddaughter suspiciously, but was not willing to ruin the mood. "I just hope this new attitude of yours continues. Then we might yet make a good Queen out of you."

The remark made Elysia want to roll her eyes. She restrained, knowing the action would be of no help. Instead, she listened attentively as her grandmother began her next history lesson. Today's lesson was on the kingdom of Bacciballum.

"Now the population of Bacciballum is made entirely of women. Can you tell me why that is?"

This was a question Elysia had answered many times before. "Bacciballum once shared its land with the kingdom of Impetus. Together, the two areas of land were once called Bellum. The kingdom was the largest of all the kingdoms and was known for their superb army. With such a great army they were able to conquer other areas of land."