Chapter 92

In all of Ralf's days, he had never been in such a small room, stuffed with so many people, all of whom were bickering mindlessly amongst themselves. No one else seemed to notice both Shade and Elysia had stepped out several minutes ago. Either that, or they didn't care. 

Finnian's voice fought to be heard above the rest. "This is madness, the Princess and I are already married."

Queen Lilith narrowed her eyes at her kingdom's dragon bond. "Not yet, you aren't. She never finished her vows."

Behind that piercing look, Ralf could see years of suppressed resentment. Obviously these two shared a strained past. With no heirs of her own, the Queen most likely spent years of her life watching Finnian push his way to the front. No doubt, Finnian had grown overzealous about his position in court with King Richard's health declining. There was a tension between Finnian and the Queen that was almost palpable. 

"Regardless," Finnian retorted, "we all signed a binding contract. If she doesn't marry me, Lyra's alliance with my kingdom is scrapped."

"It's not your kingdom yet," Queen Lilith hissed, stepping forward. 

King Alan eyed Finnian with annoyance. "The contract states Elysia is to marry the next in line for the throne. If Shade--Gabriel," he corrected himself, "is the true heir, then legally he must marry Elysia."

Ralf had never seen a man's face contort quite like Finnian's did in that moment. It was humorous to watch, yet also terrifying. Despite everyone's attitude toward the man, Finnian was indeed a powerful dragon bond. He was a force to reckoned with, and it would not be wise to push his limits. 

"Then let us make a new alliance," Finnian insisted. "One in which I am to marry your daughter. This other man, this imposter, is clearly unfit to rule. How can anyone expect him to perform as king when he has no knowledge of the matter? I, on the other hand, have trained for this position my entire life."

Queen Lilith looked ready to fight, but Ralf stepped forward to diffuse the situation.

He feigned sympathy. "I agree Finnian has more experience in the matter. But unfortunately the law clearly supports a direct bloodline heir over who has more knowledge on kingship." 

Finnian was still red with anger, but his hands no longer looked ready to issue a rage of magic on the room. "It's not fair," the grown man mumbled with the poutiness of an adolescent. 

For once, the room fell silent. Destiny examined her nails, bored once more. 

Suddenly, King Alan looked around the room, noticing for the first time his daughter and her guardian were no longer among them. "Where are they?"