Chapter 58

"How long has she been gone?" Ralf felt like a terrible brother. He hadn't even noticed Elysia had been missing for the past three days. Once he had recovered from the journey, his time had been filled with training. David was back and he needed to get his bond with Mukawa stronger. Their abilities were weak and he needed them to be prepared for the war.

Queen Ariana guided her son down the long hallway until they reached Elysia's bedchambers. The door was propped open. Inside was King Alan, staring at the man laying in Elysia's bed. Ralf recognized Shade instantly. He approached the bedside, too baffled to understand what was happening.

Shade's eyes were closed, his body drenched in sweat. He was breathing short, rapid breaths, and his skin was pale.

"What happened to him?" Ralf asked. He had never seen Shade so vulnerable before. Before today he would have confidently said nothing could tear Shade down. He was such a lethal force, deceptively strong.

Ralf finally noticed the King's physician on the other side of the bed, tending to Shade. "He's been poisoned. I'm not sure with what."

"Will he recover?"

The physician considered the question thoughtfully. "I believe so. His body's responses to the poison have been remarkable. I can only assume he's been building up a tolerance to whatever this poison is. Otherwise he would be dead."

"Who would do this?" Ralf asked himself quietly.

King Alan shook his head. "I have no idea. It doesn't make any sense. I cannot think of anyone who would be able to pull something like this over on him. Guardians are attentive, they are smart, and cunning. He was constantly aware of his surroundings and his combat skills are unmatched. I honestly have no idea who would be able to catch him off guard like this."

"Who would kidnap Elysia?" Ralf pondered.

"That's the other mystery," King Alan agreed. "If she has been taken, one would assume it would be for ransom. By now there would have been a letter, threatening to harm her if demands weren't met. Only, I have received no such letter."

Ralf remained in the room with his parents, discussing possible motives and plans to find Elysia. They continued to fall short of any ideas.

When they were about to leave for dinner, Shade stirred. He came to slowly, his body still overcoming fever. Queen Ariana rushed out to fetch him some fresh water. When she returned, Shade was already sitting up in bed.

Judging by Shade's face, he was just as confused as everyone around him. "The Princess?" he asked, his voice strained. There was emotion there and Ralf wasn't sure if it was pain, anger, or worry.

"She's gone," Ralf answered, watching Shade's reaction. He didn't seem surprised. 

"What happened?" King Alan asked, his arms crossed. "You were supposed to keep her safe!"

Shade sat up straighter, moving to the edge of the bed. Ralf was shocked he was already moving so fast. 

Shade ignored the King's questioning. He turned to Ralf. "How long has it been?"

Ralf was too stunned to answer. There was so much happening now. King Alan was furious, his questions still unanswered. "Where is my daughter?" he demanded once more.

Shade let out a breath, on the verge of frustration. "That would depend," he answered through gritted teeth.

"Depend on what?"

"On how long it's been."

"You've been out for about three days," Ralf answered helpfully.

Shade put a hand to his head, as if pained by something. Then he stood up, determined. "She's probably halfway there by now."