Chapter 57

Henry blocked the sword before it could hit him in the head. He took a step back, his left leg tightening up, and prepared to block again. Attack after attack, he blocked them, laughing as Wilkin continued to pound away towards him with his wooden sword. Finally, Henry held his hands up in surrender. 

"Sir Wilkin, you have defeated me."

Wilkin giggled, holding his sword up proudly in triumph. Then he jumped to the side. "Your turn to be the hero!"

Henry laughed, tousling the boy's hair when he came close. He was about to start their sequence over when Mavis called them in for dinner. Wilkin looked ready to complain, but Henry cut him short, "We'll finish later."

Happily, Wilkin bounded inside. Henry trailed behind slowly. He was sore from playing with Wilkin all afternoon, his leg giving him grief. He tried not to show it around the boy, but he was worried about overdoing it. 

Mavis had cooked a warm meal. It was meager, but good. Henry was adapting to eating smaller portions. He found if he ate slower it helped satisfy him longer. 

"I need to go into the market soon," Mavis announced, her gaze on her plate. "The harvest needs selling and obviously father isn't coming back in time for it. If I wait any longer it will spoil."

Wilkin stopped eating. "Is daddy okay?"

Mavis cut into her food slowly. "I'm not sure, Willy. He said he was going to be back by harvest. That was two weeks ago."

Henry kept his voice soft. "Is there anything I can do?"

"You can stay and watch Wilkin for me. It will be easier if he stays here."

Wilkin looked ready to object, but Henry shot him a warning stare. "We'll be fine. Do you need help packing?"

Mavis nodded, looking on the verge of tears. He had no idea her dad was supposed to be home by now. 

"I started packing some this morning. The harvest needs to go in the wagon, maybe you could load it after eating?"

"Of course," he wished there was more he could do. If his leg wasn't still bothering him he would go out searching for her father. Though he had absolutely no idea where he would be, or which kingdom he was even in...or what he looked like. This helpless feeling was not something he was familiar with. 

After he finished eating, Henry went out to load the wagon. It took an hour and the pace made his abdomen throb. Once it was ready, Mavis came out. 

"Thanks for preparing the wagon," Mavis said. "I should be back in a couple days."

Despite knowing how strong and independent Mavis was, Henry still worried about her going off on her own. "Are you sure you don't want us to come along?"

Mavis looked at him like he was insane. "And risk you being seen? It will be safer for everyone if you stay here. I'll be fine on my own, I've made the trip many times with father."

"Do you have anything to protect yourself? What if someone tries to rob you?"

Mavis grabbed his hand in hers and squeezed. "Don't worry so much. I know how to protect myself. Besides, people aren't so bad around these parts. It's the military officers you need to watch out for, and the worst they can do is search the cart."

While he hated the circumstances, he knew this family needed the money. The trip was necessary and could not be further prolonged. Gently, he pulled Mavis into him, taking comfort in the warmth of her embrace.

"Promise me you'll keep Wilkin safe?"

"I promise." Henry let his chin rest on her shoulder before nuzzling into her neck. 

She laughed warmly, and pulled away, checking the house to see where Wilkin was. Then she placed a quick kiss on his lips before climbing onto the cart. The horses were ready, waiting for her signal. She smiled at Henry, waving sadly as she rode off. 

Her absence made time stand still. Everything was slower, duller. Even Wilkin had less energy. They tried to keep busy. Both had chores to do and during downtime they continued working on Wilkin's sword fighting. 

Henry found he was a lousy cook, regardless of Wilkin's help. While he was comfortable making eggs and porridge, he was lousy at making a good soup. His bread making skills were pitiful, though Wilkin wasn't any better. 

At night, Henry made sure Wilkin had plenty of blankets before settling into the rocking chair by the fire. He would wait until Wilkin was asleep before going to bed himself. 

After several minutes, Wilkin called to Henry. "I can't sleep."

Henry knelt to the ground by his bed. His leg ached with the effort. "What can I do?"

"Sometimes Mavis will sing to me until I fall asleep."

Henry gulped. Singing was not a strength of his. "Is there anything else I can do?"

Wilkin's eyes grew mischievous. "Why won't you sing for me?"

"I'm lousy at it," he admitted. 

Wilkin smiled. "That makes me want it all the more. Please?" His eyes tore into Henry, big and brown. 

"I don't know any lullabies."

"That's okay. Any song will do." The boy's eyes pleaded with Henry. 

Henry tried not to groan. He thought for a minute. Surely he knew at least one lullaby? There were songs his men sang as they ran every morning together, or when they marched in formation. But those were hearty, boisterous songs. 

As the boy continued begging, Henry finally relented. He started off sheepishly, his voice terribly off key and certainly displeasing to the ears. Wilkin was beaming. At one point he stifled a laugh, clapping a hand over his mouth and nodding eagerly for Henry to continue. 

When Henry was done, Wilkin let his laughter free. While such a reaction was not hoped for, Henry could not resist laughing along. 

"You really are a lousy singer!" Wilkin managed to say between fits of laughter.

"I told you I was!" His side hurt from laughing so hard.

Once Wilkin's laughter faded, he tugged Henry's shirt. "Do it again! Please!"

Henry hung his head back but granted the boy's request. After all, what did he have to lose? He already lost all dignity. This time he sang out proudly and with confidence, now that Wilkin knew how terrible he was. Wilkin picked up some of the words and began singing along. At the end, when Wilkin's laughter resumed, Henry added to the flames by tickling him relentlessly. 

Eventually Wilkin's energy disappeared and he was asleep by the hour. Henry got up slowly, wincing from the stiffness in his leg. He had been on the ground too long. He made his way back to the rocking chair. While the bed called to him, he couldn't make himself leave Wilkin alone in the front room. 

Instead he grabbed his sword, keeping it by his side as he drifted to sleep in the rocking chair, staying close to Wilkin all night.