Chapter 103

This was not how Ralf had pictured his wedding day would go. He never envisioned it would be a hastened ceremony, held in the smallest chapel of the castle, with only his parents and Karolina's father to witness. There were no guests, no big elaborate decorations, no feast awaiting them in celebration.

Henry had just lost the love of his life, Elysia and David were captured in enemy territory, and Ralf was not even sure he was on good terms with his soon-to-be wife.

As he held Karolina's hands, he noticed there was no warmth there. She wasn't a blushing bride, eager to wed and live happily ever after. In fact, she could hardly look at him, as if guilt were eating her alive. Why them? Why should they get what they wanted when everyone else's lives were falling apart, when their kingdom was at war? How could they possibly be happy during a time like this?

Ralf internally scolded himself for his brief moments of self pity. It wasn't fair that his wedding day was a quick, obligatory ceremony to help jumpstart the alliance between Copia and Lyra. It wasn't fair that the ceremony seemed more like a funeral than a celebration. But a lot of things weren't fair. And Ralf was living lavishly compared to his siblings right now.

He knew he should be grateful for what he had, but he was so angry, so frustrated, so scared. It didn't seem possible that Mavis was truly dead, and with her the hopes and dreams of his older brother. Henry was just starting to turn things around, to truly discover who he was. Only to have his heart ripped out.

As for Elysia, Ralf was terrified for his sister. Sure, she was strong and confident, but this was different. This was war, and she was being used as collateral, Niebla's hold over Lyra. So long as Elysia and David were prisoners in Niebla, King Alan could not send his full army into enemy territory. Not when doing so could mean the life of his only daughter and one of his dragon bonds. Not to mention, without Elysia, their alliance with Bacciballum was on standby. Elysia needed to physically be present in their kingdom for Bacciballum to send their own troops and help Lyra win this war. Without their support, Lyra was doomed, or so the Seers had told Ralf.

King Alan had more than enough on his plate and by looking at him now, Ralf could see the worry lining his face. His eyes were red, with thick dark circles under them from lack of sleep. The young prince could tell his father was desperate to be elsewhere right now. After all, what good was he doing standing at a wedding ceremony when his kingdom had just declared war? His troops were already marching to the border.

As soon as Ralf and Karolina's vows were through, the King and Queen would be racing off on their dragons to fight in the battle. Ralf was petrified for his family. War was uncontrollable, unpredictable. There was nothing he could do to ensure total safety for his family. The only person who he knew with certainty would be safe was Karolina, since she would be staying put at the castle. As for the rest of his family, anything could happen.

"I do," Karolina vowed somberly. Even as she said the most important words of her life, she didn't look up at Ralf. It pained him fiercely.

Ralf didn't even remember saying his own vows. But then Karolina was leaning forward and he was just in time to give her a quick peck on the lips. Instantly his father shook hands with Karolina's, papers were signed, his parents were hugging him, and then they were gone, leaving Ralf with his new, unenthusiastic bride.

The prince took hold of his wife's hand and led her quietly away. After a long walk to his room, he finally closed the door behind him and sighed heavily. Karolina walked slowly over to the bed, took a seat, and put her face in her hands.

"We don't have to do anything," Ralf said quietly as he took a seat beside her.

She looked at him with tears in her eyes. "This wasn't at all how I pictured my wedding day."

"I know."

"There were supposed to be decorations and a party and cake. My father was supposed to drink wine, he's always so happy when he has wine. We were supposed to dance until our feet hurt and then come back here nervous and excited. We're supposed to be in love."

"Are you not?" Ralf didn't mean to ask the question aloud. He wasn't sure he could take hearing the answer.

Her silence slowly tore away at his heart. "I'm too sad to feel anything else."

It was understandable. So much was happening, most of it sad, some of it terrifying. And while months ago Ralf had wanted nothing more than to marry Karolina and spend every evening with her, the only thing he could think about now was finding his sister. Finnian and Shade had left yesterday and still there was no word of finding her.

Ralf wanted nothing more than to search now himself, but he had obligations here, to his wife. He couldn't marry her one moment and leave her the next. She needed him to be solid.

But Ralf could think of nothing else. And clearly Karolina was not in the mood for him. He took a seat next to her and grabbed her hands in his.

At last she looked at him, though her eyes were red and glazed with tears.

"I want this to work between us," Ralf said. "I want us to live happily ever after and have kids and grow old together. But right now I really need to find my sister. Without her I'm afraid we won't win this war, and then our chances at a happily ever after are gone."

Karolina nodded slowly, sniffling back her emotions and attempting a braver face. "Go find her, Ralf. Win this war and then come back to me."

He gave her as best a smile as he could muster at the moment. Then he kissed her. He was surprised to find she kissed him back, quite passionately, as if worried she may never again have the chance. It felt too much like a goodbye kiss and he hoped she had more faith in him than that. He needed her to believe in him. Mostly because he wasn't sure he believed in himself.

Hours later he was flying fast through the clouds. He had no idea where to even start looking but he was officially in Nieblan territory. Mirum used her enhanced sight to be on the lookout for any signs of his sister.

Ralf believed it too obvious for Elysia to be held in the capital city. If he were holding someone of importance hostage, he would do it in the least likely place. Somewhere nobody would think to look.

That didn't narrow it down or make the search any easier. But at least it was a start.

The initial hours of searching were painfully slow. Ralf was spending all his energy focusing on every building, looking to see if there were guards posted outside. He even checked a few himself, but it was all clear.

Fortunately he had yet to run into any other dragons. That was all he needed. He did, however, make contact with Finnian and his dragon an hour ago. Shade was still with them and they hadn't found any signs of Elysia either.

While the first hours of searching had gone slowly, the last several were flying by. They were running out of time. Jordan's note had said to have their decision by this evening.

The sun was already fading and Ralf cursed loudly into the sky. He hadn't much hope to begin with and now he was practically in despair.

He thought back to what the Seers had said when he asked the Ultimate Question. The only way to win the war was for Bacciballum to ally with them. Lyra needed their advanced weaponry, their machines that were capable of taking down dragons. Without Elysia there was no alliance. Without the alliance, Lyra was doomed. His family was doomed.

Ralf had worked his entire life at remaining positive. He had to have hope, had to keep going. His leg was a daily reminder to work harder and persevere. But now, in that moment, Ralf was ready to give up.

It was in that moment of utter despair that Ralf heard a small voice in his head. Not his own voice, not even Mirum's, but a voice he thought he would never hear in his mind.