Chapter 45

While Miles had been in the infirmary, Elysia had been making visits to his bedside. She had cared for him and kept him comfortable while he was unconscious. It had been days and he hadn't woken up. She had so many questions for him, they all did. Everyone wanted to know what happened. They wanted to know where Henry was. Miles was the only one left alive from the patrol that night. A villager had actually stumbled across the aftermath of the battle and sent for help.

While Elysia waited for Henry's best friend to awake, she did her best to make use of her time. She manipulated the physicians into teaching her some of their practices. She learned how to properly bandage a wound, how to make a poultice, when to cut off blood supply and when to hold pressure. They even showed her how to stitch a wound, letting her practice on some fruit. 

When she wasn't in the infirmary learning and waiting for Miles to wake, she was with her grandmother. The preparations for the Quinquennial ball were getting more detailed and Maria was getting more controlling. 

In any spare time she had, she was learning how to throw knives with Shade. He was an impatient teacher, and not complimentary. Everything was a critique. She liked to think she was improving but he always humbled her. 

As she sat by Miles' bedside, reading a book, her guardian took to pacing around the room. He too wanted to know what had happened to Henry, and Miles wasn't waking up fast enough for him.

"Would you relax?" Elysia chided her guardian. "You're making it hard to read."

Shade glared at her. "How you can sit there idly and read a book is beyond me. I don't know why your father won't send for me to find Henry. He'd be home by now."

"What an arrogant statement."

"It's not arrogance if the statement isn't exaggerated. He would be home by now. The term you're looking for is 'confident'."

"Weren't you the one that said I should never be left alone? Now you want to leave me and run off looking for my brother? I thought I couldn't be trusted?" She was enjoying seeing her guardian like this. He seemed more human. She took satisfaction in his need to keep her entire family safe. He was getting attached. She almost smiled to herself. 

Shade waved her off. "I'm sure you could behave yourself for a few days while I saved your brother's life."

Elysia looked thoughtful. "Hmm, I'm not sure I could manage that."

Shade glowered at her. "You're impossible."

She smiled sweetly and set her book on her lap. She was just about to make a witty remark when she noticed Miles was opening his eyes. 

Instantly she took hold of his hand, waiting for him to wake up fully before saying anything. She hoped it would be comforting to Miles that she was there. She didn't want to intrude on his recovery, but she wanted to support her brother's best friend. And she wanted answers.

He didn't say anything for a while and Shade was grumbling in the corner. She could tell her was impatient for him to wake. Elysia gave him a look of warning. Shade huffed.

Elysia poured a glass of water and looked to see if Miles wanted it. He nodded and she helped guide the cup up to his mouth slowly. The bruises on his face had started to yellow in color, making him look almost jaundiced. Elysia tried not to stare. He had suffered a lot of injuries, that much was clear. The arrows had almost been the least of his worries, for the doctor said he was also suffering from internal injuries and blood loss.

Miles nodded his head slowly to signal he had had enough water. Elysia set the glass back on the side table. "How do you feel?" she asked softly. 

He tried to speak but nothing came out at first. He tried again. "I've been better." His voice was hoarse and sounded as if an elephant had been standing on his chest for five days. "How long?" he asked.