Chapter 86

As soon as Elysia's walk with Queen Lilith had ended, Finnian snatched the Princess up before she could evade him. Lately, Finnian had taken to demonstrating his magic in front of Elysia whenever an opportunity arose.

Though it was daylight, he lit the candles and lamps of the garden maze with the snap of his finger, eyeing her reaction to see if she was impressed. It seemed he had forgotten her brother was a dragon bond; she was accustomed to the a life of magic and dragons. As a child she grew up watching Ralf's powers grow. In fact, she often helped test his limits.

After a few more demonstrations, Finnian seemed to finally pick up on that fact, and his displays of magic only heightened. His determination to impress her eventually led to him levitating her in the air, for no apparent reason. It had taken her by surprise, but was nothing compared to what her parents and brother could do.

"Yes that's very interesting," Elysia fought to maintain her composure as she dangled precariously above the hedges of the garden. "If you don't mind, I would like to come down now."

She looked to Shade for help. He seemed confuddled, wondering why this man thought it a good idea to levitate a princess in the air. 

"You have nothing to fear, my darling," said Finnian proudly. "My magic is very strong. I could lift you for another hour."

Her eyes widened. "That won't be necessary," she insisted.

At last, Shade stepped forward, muttering something to Finnian. It was getting uncomfortable, floating for so long, with nothing to hold on to. 

Finnian glared at Shade, his tone aggressive. "You sir, can step back. I need my complete concentration if--"

As he was speaking, Elysia felt the forces around her shifting. Finnian's focus was on Shade and before he could finish his sentence, she slipped from the invisible forces around her.

She let out a squeal as she was dropped, released from the air. In an instant, Shade was there to catch her, saving her from certain injury. 

"Look what you've done!" Finnian shouted, rushing to her aid, too late to be of use. "I assure you, Princess, had this man not distracted me, I would have never dropped you."

Elysia's heart rate took a full minute to slow. Though she was safe in Shade's arms, she clung to him tightly, as if still in danger. There was no telling what Finnian was bound to try next. She didn't trust him not to raise her back up in the air again, if only to prove he was strong enough.

Shade's voice was soothing in her ear, "Are you alright, Princess?"

Looking into his eyes, his expression worried, it took everything in her to resist planting her lips on his. If they were alone, she would have.

Finnian's ego was going to kill her one day. He was reckless and quick to please, without thinking of the consequences; not worrying about what could go wrong. 

"I'm fine," she muttered, displeased with this entire situation. She wanted Shade to run off with her in his arms and leave this fool of a man behind.

Speaking of, Finnian hurried to them and--to everyone's surprise--began trying to take Elysia from Shade. Was he honestly trying to steal her out of his arms?

"Excellent catch, my friend. Now I'm sure your arms will tire soon, allow me to take her." He was grappling with Shade as Shade continued to turn out of his reach. 

Had Elysia not been directly involved, she would have found the scene humorous. The fact that she was indeed the center of this ridiculous scene, only irritated her.

Before Finnian could do anything else foolish, Elysia said, "Or perhaps I could be let down and stand on my own two feet?"

Shade huffed--clearly not in agreement she would be safer standing on her own--and let her down carefully. Admittedly, she had felt more protected in her guardian's arms. At least then she needn't worry about Finnian spontaneously air lifting her again.