Chapter 89

It was strange, looking around at the decorated chapel, knowing he would be next to marry. Ralf sat beside his fiance in the second row, behind his mother and grandmother. He was sandwiched between Karolina and Henry, and was surprised to find the seating arrangements weren't awkward. Henry had clearly moved on, his face eager to watch his only sister get married.

Ralf was pessimistic. Something about the marriage was off. He knew Elysia didn't love Finnian, that much was obvious to him. What he didn't understand was the feeling nagging away in his brain, that Elysia was making a mistake. 

It was normal for royalty to marry for alliances, normal to marry without love. This was different. Ralf couldn't explain it, but something was off.

He could sense his twin's anxiety from where he was. She had yet to enter. Finnian waited at the altar, practically bouncing with excitement. His hands were clasped together in front of him, as if to prevent him from impatiently tapping. 

The chapel was extravagantly decorated, no doubt an expensive accomplishment by his grandmother. Karolina seemed excited to share such beautiful wedding decor for her own wedding with Ralf soon. Every day they were growing closer together, and Ralf soon hoped their relationship would return to normal. 

It was easier to fall in love again when the balance of the kingdom was no longer relying on their choices. Their marriage was decided, their love allowed to bloom again.

Stringed instruments slowly came to life, lifting their song to the tall ceilings of the chapel. Ralf turned expectantly, waiting for his sister to come through those double doors. He almost hoped she wouldn't. 

Not only did he believe her love for Finnian to be completely false, but he also didn't want her to leave. Once married, she would be forced to move to Susurrus. Though it wasn't as far as most kingdoms, it was still beyond the borders of Lyra. Paying a visit would be an all out journey. Gone would be the days he could simply knock on her door when he wanted to talk. 

He also worried about Sirey. The young apprentice-chef would lose her best friend. He imagined the light in her eyes would fade with Elysia being gone. He made a mental note to keep her company this week. 

The clicking of the doors as they opened, returned Ralf's attention to the back of the chapel. King Alan and Elysia entered grandly, her radiant gown the center of everyone's focus. All in attendance stood, bowing and curtsying as they walked past. 

Elysia moved gracefully, her gaze straight ahead. Ralf noticed she had yet to look at Finnian. 

When she past, her eyes briefly met Ralf's, and he gave her an encouraging smile. She smiled bravely, but her eyes were filled with dread. Anyone who couldn't see it was blind. His sister was miserable.

He tried his best to send her feelings of positivity, to connect with her through the strange bond they shared. But his feelings didn't stick. She shoved them back at him.

When Elysia was given away, King Alan took a seat in the front row, and the rest of the crowd followed suit, a collective groaning of wood as they took their seats. 

As the priest began speaking, Ralf's eyes fell back to his sister. She was facing her future husband, but her eyes were on something else. Ralf followed her gaze until he landed on an almost hidden figure, standing in the shadows of the room, across from Elysia. Shade.

Why was she looking at him? Ralf was perplexed, his thoughts racing furiously. He hardly heard Finnian say his I do's, hardly heard Elysia as she began marking through hers. 

This was wrong. It was all wrong. Elysia clearly had no feelings towards the man she was about to marry. As she spoke, her eyes never left her guardian's. It was baffling, how no one else in the room seemed to notice. Finnian himself was blind to it all.

Ralf had to do something. He had to stop this.