Chapter 95

There was a large feast after the ceremony. Elysia was allowed a brief reprieve to change into a more comfortable and maneuverable dress. It was still a white dress, though this one was adorned in hints of blue beading. The sleeves were light and airy, more breathable than any other she had worn. It would make dancing much more tolerable than her usual corseted dresses. 

Likewise, Shade surprised her by changing his attire. He no longer wore the cloak, but dressed in a sleek black tailcoat. She had the suspicion someone helped him with both his wardrobe and his hair, as he looked quite unlike Elysia had ever seen him. Handsome as ever, he reminded her of how he dressed for the ball. 

Fortunately, the reception feast was less formal and more relaxed than the ceremony. People were coming and going as they pleased, eating at a leisurely pace and joining the dance floor when it suited them. The guests no longer focused solely on Elysia and Shade; instead making memories for themselves as they enjoyed the night. It was nice, she found, for the attention to shift away from them. It gave them time to enjoy their night together, talking and laughing, and watching others dance. 

She sat at the head table beside Shade, with her parents on her right, and Shade's mother on his left. It was odd, being at the center, but with time they both relaxed. King Richard was still too sick to make it down. Queen Lilith had already twisted Elysia's arm, practically begging her to convince Shade to pay his father a visit tomorrow. The physicians worried the King didn't have much time left. The journey had taken all his remaining strength, and the Queen believed he would soon finally be at peace, knowing his only son had returned. Elysia promised to ask Shade to visit him tomorrow, but insisted it was his decision. 

Pleased with the effort, Queen Lilith apologized for leaving early, then returned to her room to eat with her husband in bed. While she hated to admit it, once Queen Lilith left, the air instantly lightened. Shade relaxed and Elysia felt as though the awkwardness was gone. She sensed Shade felt obligated to converse with his mother, but knew not the words. With her gone, he no longer needed to worry about it. 

To Elysia's delight, Shade had a hard time keeping his hands to himself, always resting a hand around the back of her chair, letting a finger glide along the nape of her neck, or letting their fingers interlock underneath the table. His chair, she noticed, was even angled toward hers, as if it were impossible to be further than a foot away. It was such a relief, no longer hiding their feelings for one another. 

If one were to observe them now, Elysia was embarrassed to admit, it would be obvious they had been involved before the wedding. They were too comfortable with each other, too affectionate. Their happiness was like a light, lifting from their smiles and laughter. To Elysia, everything was funnier, food tasted better, and it was altogether easier to find joy in even the small things. Life was full and complete. She had what she wanted, and discovered all she ever truly needed was Shade. 

Most of the guests left shortly after the meal, many of whom began the long journey home. Few returned to their guest rooms at the castle, leaving Elysia's closest family and friends. 

At this time, all of the staff were allowed to join in the festivities, and Elysia was thrilled to see Sirey bounding over to her. The young, apprentice-chef hopped into the Princess' lap as she sat at the table, and began giggling up a storm, her bony bottom digging into Elysia's leg. 

"I can't believe you're married!" Exclaimed Sirey, sounding slightly intoxicated. She clung to Elysia, as if she might fall off her lap otherwise. 

"Enjoying the party punch already?" Elysia inquired.

Sirey laughed, letting her head hang back. "I may have had a few drinks," she admitted.

Suddenly Sirey stood up, abandoning the Princess' lap all at once. "Your cake! They're bringing it in!"