Chapter 63

The Princess found herself unusually fidgety as she sat and waited for Shade to finish bathing. She could feel the room steaming up, her body getting almost too hot. She let the shawl fall off her shoulders, helping to cool her down some.

When she heard Shade stepping out of the tub, she swallowed, sitting up straighter. She busied her thoughts, distracting them from her situation. She thought about what tomorrow would bring and prayed the council would agree to the alliance. If they declined, Elysia determined she would have to stay until they agreed. They would be persuaded in her favor, she would make certain.

Elysia jumped in her chair when she felt the blindfold slipping.

"Easy," Shade soothed. "I'm done, you can get up now."

A thought jumped into her head. Would she finally get to see Shade in normal clothes? Would she finally get to see his face, no longer shrouded by the blasted hood he always kept up over his eyes?

She turned expectantly in her chair to get a better look at him. Her face fell. "Are you wearing the same cloak you wore earlier?"

"Of course not," he said as though the idea were absurd. "I always pack a spare in my bag."

Elysia rolled her eyes. Of course he did. She was about to stand when Shade's touch made her freeze. His fingers grazed her arm softly, quickening her pulse. She was about to ask what he was doing when he spoke, cutting off her question.

"You've been hurt." His voice was almost pained.

She frowned, wondering which injury concerned him. Surely he knew she had taken a few bruises from Bacciballum's welcoming committee?

Then she noticed what he was referring to. His fingers traced the yellow bruises around her arm where the men had grabbed her days ago. While the markings had once been dark and blue, they appeared more jaundiced now.

"It doesn't hurt," she said, her voice suddenly hoarse.

"When did it happen?"

"At night. I was followed from the village. Three men tried to rob me. Really, Shade, I'm fine."

His brow furrowed. "Did you sustain any other injuries?"

While her torso had taken a few good hits, she felt fine now. Time had healed her nicely.

In answer, she shook her head, finding it difficult to breathe as he gently wrapped his hand around her arm, mimicking the way the bruises were formed. His fingers were coarse against her smooth skin. Then he let his hand drop, his fingers grazing the length of her arm as he did so. She shivered.

He took a step back, distancing himself from her. "Are you satisfied?" he asked expectantly, his tone changing.

Her brain fought to understand the question. If anything she felt completely dissatisfied.

"Now that I'm clean?" he clarified, as though his meaning were obvious. "You can rest easy now Princess, the room will smell only of kindled oak."

She fought to smile, her mind catching up. She came to her feet slowly, still stunned from his touch. "Yes, I believe I will sleep quite well now."

Once in bed she tossed a few times. The fire was dim, the embers burning hot. The bed was luxuriously soft, more so than her own at home. Yet despite the bed's comfort and her complete exhaustion, she found it difficult to rest.

Shade was seated in the chair by the window and Elysia tried to shut her brain up so she could sleep. She thought back to the past hour and remembered how she had felt sitting in the chair while Shade bathed. Her body was restless.