Chapter 88

The morning of her wedding, Elysia awoke with a man in her bed who was not her betrothed. Shade remained atop the covers, his usual stipulation, and Elysia rest her head on his chest. She willed time to stop. Wished she could remain in bed all day. Perhaps if she did, they might forget about her.

But she knew better. Maria would be pounding down her door any minute, with her ladies ready to pounce on her hair and makeup. No, staying in bed was not an option.

"If you could go anywhere right now," Elysia asked her guardian, "where would you go?"

He paused, his brows creasing together thoughtfully. "Why do you ask?"

She shrugged, nuzzling her head into his shoulder. "I want to run away, Shade. With you."

"You wouldn't do it," he said, staring ahead.

She looked up at him, frowning. "Yes I would. I want to, right now."

He shook his head. "Wanting to do something and actually doing it are two very different things."

Elysia released a defeated breath. He was right, of course. She couldn't abandon her kingdom. The alliance would be scrapped, her kingdom left weakened by her absence. "Fine. You're right, I couldn't do it. But I do want to. So where would you go?" she asked again.

He rubbed her head, then placed a kiss on her forehead. "Anywhere you are."

She rolled her eyes, but smiled to herself. "That's a lame answer."

Minutes ticked by, faster than she wanted. Reality was approaching. Soon she would be wed to Finnian. The thought made her eyes water, and she took breaths to keep the tears back.

"I don't want to marry him," she whispered.

"I know," Shade said, his fingers brushing through her hair, working to calm her.

She sensed Shade had more to say, but was interrupted by a relentless pounding on the door.

Maria's muffled voice shook through the walls, "Young lady, if you don't let us in, you'll miss your own wedding!"

Groaning, she sat up and stretched. She kissed Shade sweetly, knowing he would disappear the second she got out of bed. Then she moved to the door, opening it warily.

A monsoon of women poured in, sweeping Elysia up into a chair to begin her hair and wardrobe. It was as if Shade had never been there.

Elysia's mother and grandmother remained by her side, watching with glee as the transformation was underway. They were so excited, so giddy at the prospect of her finally being married. Both seemed deluded into believing she was truly pleased with her choice of suitors. They considered her nervous, rather than laced with anxiety and dread.

When the Princess was ready, Maria and Ariana stepped back to view her reflection in the mirror. Both had tears in their eyes, dabbing them away with a handkerchief.

Although she had no excitement for this marriage, the sight of her mother and grandmother practically sobbing over her appearance, was enough to make Elysia emotional.

Her ivory wedding dress was spectacular, with intricate lacework trailing from the sweetheart neckline, to the hem of her gown. Elysia had never felt more elegant, more bridal. Her veil was equally as exquisite, with lace roses detailed into the edges.

Her hair was pulled up, a crown on her head. It was a simple crown, but beautifully jeweled, each crystal catching the light from the windows. As appearances went, she looked perfect. Inside, she felt like a fake. Was she truly about to profess her love to Finnian, to vow her entire life to him? There was no love between them, no friendship. Finnian's obsession with her was vain and unbalanced. His desire to keep her at his side at all times was unrelenting.