Chapter 75

The door to King Alan's study opened for Ralf, the guards standing on either side of it, allowing the Prince entry. Ralf stepped cautiously into the room, unsure of why his father was summoning him.

The King looked up from the maps on his desk. "Have a seat."

Ralf walked to the chair across his father slowly. He sat down, adjusting his position a few times as he waited for his father to continue. 

"I just finished a rather interesting conversation with your brother."

Ralf's breathing slowed. The mention of Henry's name had a habit of causing Ralf distress. Normally bad things were associated with his brother. "Does this have something to do with why you called me in here?"

King Alan eyed his son, scrutinizing his posture and attitude, causing Ralf to feel uneasy. Ralf's relationship with his father had been strained since the discovery of the Prince's relationship with Karolina. He had let his father down, possibly even his kingdom. They needed Copia's alliance, perhaps just as much as they needed Bacciballum's. In order to be on equal standing grounds with Niebla, Lyra needed to ally with three kingdoms. They secured an alliance with Bacciballum, but needed two more. With Elysia's arranged marriage, they could gain another kingdom as an ally. Without Copia, they would be outmatched by an entire kingdom. 

"Henry has made a compelling argument in favor of you marrying Princess Karolina." King Alan watched Ralf's reaction carefully, finding himself confused by the lack of enthusiasm.

"I don't understand," Ralf replied slowly. Why would Henry want him to marry his fiance? Was this about the girl he was with, Mavis? He told Ralf he loved her. Was he truly serious?

King Alan sighed, clearly not enthralled by Ralf's reaction. "He has found a way to allow you and Princess Karolina to wed. Does this not please you?"

Did it please him? Weeks ago he would have been overcome with joy. But now, with their relationship so tense, so strained, he wondered if Princess Karolina would feel the same. Would she be confused too? 

Ralf chose his words carefully. "I suppose I find it hard to believe. Why would King Lemoine agree to the marriage, why would he agree to an alliance if his daughter were not betrothed to the future king?"

There was hardly any point in Karolina marrying the second in line for the throne. The whole point of an alliance through marriage was for the heirs to rule the next generation. If Ralf and Karolina were to wed, their children would not be next in line, Henry's would be.

"Your brother has abdicated his heirs' right to the throne."

Ralf frowned, his mind reeling. "Why would he do that?"

King Alan was growing impatient. He had expected a much different response than he was receiving. "Maybe because he truly cares about your feelings. He does not love Princess Karolina. He knows you do. He has given up is future children's right to the throne, and instead gives it to yours. This way, King Lemoine would have a reason to ally with us with his daughter marrying you, instead of Henry."

A sudden, intense feeling--almost like a shock--coursed through Ralf's body. For the first time in several weeks Ralf felt hopeful.