Chapter 85

"Can I have a minute alone with him?" Henry asked the armed guard. Obediently, the guard left the cell block, leaving Henry alone with Mavis' father. Mavis was outside, waiting anxiously to see her father. Henry thought it best he go in alone, that way he could speak with him privately. There was some information her father needed to know. 

Her father was different than Henry expected. She always painted him as a loving, affectionate, person. The bear of a man standing before him was not who he pictured. He had a full beard and hair the color of rust. Though he wasn't tall or heavy, he had broad shoulders and a confidence that suggested he could hold his own in a brawl. He eyed Henry with a bewildered expression. 

It was obvious Henry was the Prince; his attire gave him away easily. While Henry would have liked to level with the man, he needed the guards to know who he was in order to let him in.

Finally the man spoke up. "I'm trying to think of a reason the Prince of Lyra would be paying me of all people a visit. Can't think of anything good." His voice was gruff and tired. 

Naturally sleep would evade an imprisoned man whose kids relied on his income and protection. Fortunately, he didn't look malnourished. Henry only hoped he didn't resent Lyrans for his unfortunate predicament. After all, he was rightfully imprisoned. But he needed this man to like him.

"I'm not here for you," Henry admitted. "I'm here because of your daughter."

The man frowned. "How do you know my Mavis?"

"She saved my life," Henry replied simply.

The man's eyebrows raised, and he leaned into the bars, his eyes curious. "Now that sounds like an intriguing story."

Henry smiled thinking about it. "A group of Nieblan's breached the border and ambushed my patrol. I was dying and happened upon your doorstep. Mavis cared for me and a family friend fixed my leg. Your kids nursed me back to health and gave me a safe place to recover. I owe your children my life."

The man laughed warmly, so hard he doubled over. When he recovered, he stood back up and extended a calloused hand through the bars of his cell. "If that doesn't earn me a first name basis with the Prince, I don't know what would. You can call me Kenric."

Henry shook his hand, "Henry."

Kenric seemed pleased he wouldn't have to suffer through formalities. He didn't seem the type to bow and obey. Not if he didn't have to.

"I reckon that also earns me a way out of this cell?" he asked hopefully.

"Yes," Henry said, chuckling to himself. He was a bold man, Kenric; now he knew where Mavis got it.

Henry grabbed the keys and unlocked the cell door. Kenric stepped out quickly, before the Prince could change his mind. 

"Is she here, my girl?" Kenric looked anxious to get to her. How long had it been? Several months at least. He was supposed to have returned by harvest, though Henry had no idea when he left before that.

While he hated to make the man wait a moment longer, there was something he needed to talk to him about. Suddenly, knowing the topic might be an uneasy one, he wondered if it would have been wiser to keep the man locked up. In case he got upset.

"Before you go, I need to talk with you about something." He fought for a place to start. How does a person explain what Henry's and Mavis' relationship was? How does one even begin?

"Is something wrong?" he asked, impatient to leave.

Henry shook his head. "No, I just want to explain something first."