Chapter 44

Guilt was eating Ralf alive. His brother was missing because of him. Had Ralf not allowed himself to fall in love with his brother's fiance, Henry never would have gone on that patrol. That was what Henry did when he was upset and needed to blow off steam, he would get away. Now Henry was gone and no one knew if he was dead, injured, or captured. 

Queen Ariana was a wreck. King Alan was restless. He spent every minute of every day brainstorming ways to find his son. He sent patrols, search parties, spies. He even considered taking his dragon across the border and looking himself, but knew he couldn't risk injury to himself. He had to think about his kingdom. They couldn't be without a king and a prince. 

Ralf had offered to take Mirum, but the suggestion was shoved down immediately. After all, now that Elysia was back with the ash of the Great Memory Tree, they would need to get going to find the remaining items. They needed to ask the Ultimate Question soon so they could determine how to win this war.

It didn't feel right to leave though. His family was in disarray, he wanted to fix it, to find his brother. He had been so hurt, so angry that Henry had actually tried to kill him. But the more he thought about it, the more he understood. He had messed up. Feelings or not, he should have never allowed himself to love his brother's fiance. 

Now he was paying the price. His entire family was. 

You have to stop blaming yourself. Mirum said, nudging him affectionately with her head. Ralf rolled onto his back, looking up at the clouds. 

"Even you tried to stop me from falling for her."

Not for the right reasons, Mirum replied. I was jealous. You were paying more attention to her, I didn't want to become an afterthought. 

Ralf sat up and stared at his dragon. "You could never be an afterthought, Mirum. You're my dragon. My best friend. We're bonded, you know I love you."

Yes but this love kind of love is different. You humans when you fall in love, you give your whole self. Fuego felt the bond stretch when Ariana was falling for your father. They spent less time together. He became her new world. I didn't want that to happen to us.

Ralf never knew that's how his mother's dragon had felt. He didn't know that's how his own dragon was feeling. "I'm sorry Mirum, I never meant to make you feel less important."

I haven't yet. I was worried that I would if you let yourself fall for her. But you haven't had a chance to really enjoy this new relationship with her.

"I promise, I won't let anything come between us. Whether I end up with Karolina or not, whoever I marry will be equal to you. I won't put my wife first or second to you."

Ralf suddenly heard his father's voice calling to him in his mind. Mirum gave him a lift back to the castle, and he hurried inside to his father's study.

King Alan was at his desk. His eyes were red, there were dark circles under his eyes, and he looked as if he hadn't been eating well. 

"Father?" Ralf said, stepping in quietly. 

King Alan looked up at him. "Are you ready to gather the last two items?"

Ralf nodded slowly. He took a seat on the other side of his father's desk. "Yes, I'm ready."

"I want you to take Princess Karolina with you."

Ralf frowned. "Why?" It would be dangerous having her tag along. He didn't like the idea of worrying about her the entire trip.

"One of the items is in her kingdom. I want you to take her back with you and leave her there."

Ralf stood up. He wouldn't leave the love of his life there, not when they were just getting to spend time together.