Chapter 72

They entered the castle together, Shade and Mirum trailing behind as the siblings locked arms and entered their home. Around them people stared, several bending the knee in respect and cheering at their return. 

It brought chills to Elysia, almost making her cry. She looked into the faces of the people around her, smiling back at her, glad for their safety. A sharp, shrieking voice caught her attention and she recognized Sirey instantly, as the apprentice chef elbowed her way into the Princess' field of view. 

When she managed to worm her way past the crowd, Sirey's frown turned into a grin as she met Elysia's gaze. The Princess let her arms slip from her brothers' as she ran forward and barreled into her best friend. 

Sirey squeezed her so tight she thought she might turn blue. Then the apprentice chef stepped back and surprised the Princess by hitting her shoulder hard.

Elysia's eyes widened. Not many people could hit the Princess and get away with it, especially not with Shade around.

"That's for leaving without saying goodbye!"

Elysia laughed. "I couldn't very well tell you my plans. You might try to stop me."

"I would have stopped you!" Sirey confirmed, "but that doesn't make me any less mad at you."

Elysia looked at her friend, her eyes softening. She hated to think Sirey had been a nervous wreck the entire time she was gone. "I promise to make it up to you. How about I help you out in the kitchen for an entire week?"

"That would be more a punishment than a help," Sirey scoffed. "I was thinking foot massages and dish duty."

Elysia rolled her eyes. Henry gently pulled her aside. "I hate to break up the reunion, but I have a feeling our parents will want to see us now."

"Right," said Elysia, bidding her friend a brief goodbye. 

"The King and Queen are waiting for you in the throne room," one of the attendants briefed them, "We have informed them of your arrival."

The Princess's heart dropped to her stomach. She considered disappearing into the crowd and avoiding her father's reaction altogether. The disappointment in his eyes would be too much for her to bare after all this excitement. 

Regardless of such anxious thoughts, she followed her brothers into the throne room, the double doors opening widely for them upon entry. Elysia hid behind her brothers, glancing backward for escape. Shade scowled at her aversiveness. So much for running out the room.

Upon seeing Henry in the flesh, their mother began weeping tears of relief. She ran up to her eldest son, kissing his face and holding him tight. 

King Alan looked to Henry then his eyes found Elysia's. She wanted to look away, she feared to see the disappointment there. His eyes welled up and he stepped forward slowly, then rushed to her. 

At first she thought he might strike her, but instead surprised her by reaching his arms out in an open embrace. Elysia felt her own eyes welling up at the gesture and flung herself willingly into the open arms of her father. He hugged her tight, his hand holding the back of her head like a babe. In that moment she became his little girl once more. 

Despite the trouble she had caused, the sleepless nights full of worry, King Alan loved his daughter, and perhaps she was only now starting to realize how much.

"My sweet girl," he said, his voice hoarse with emotion. "I've never been so relieved."

In that moment she could not stop the tears. She didn't care if others saw, she only cared that her father--who should be livid with her for risking the entire kingdom's safety and her own--was embracing her. 

"I'm so sorry," she hiccuped into his shoulder, burying her face into him as a child would. "I only wanted to help."

"You have nothing to be sorry for, my dear. Your mother would have done the same thing."

She pulled back and finally glanced to her mother, who was waiting anxiously for her turn to embrace her daughter. While Elysia and her mother hugged, King Alan moved on to his oldest son. 

There were so many emotions in the room, so many things to say to one another. Elysia didn't know where to start. Her head was spinning with news to share. 

She finally broke free from her parents' loving embrace and looked at them both. "Bacciballum has agreed to an alliance."

The Dragon Bond: Heirs of Lyraजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें