Chapter 94

"Why am I so nervous?" Elysia muttered to herself, as she waited outside the chapel with her father. 

King Alan put a calming hand on her shoulder. "I have a feeling these are excited nerves."

She smiled at him, her hands practically shaking. It was true, she was excited. She was about to marry Shade, her guardian; the man she had once loathed unfathomably. Now the thought of their future together both excited and terrified her. 

She knew, without a doubt, things were not going to get easier. There was going to be a lot of confusion, Shade was going to have to prove himself worthy of his new title. A title, in which, he still did not entirely want.

However, they came to the conclusion that Elysia would take lead of most matters. Shade was happy to assist her in any way he could, and had many ideas of his own. In the end, Shade agreed to marry her for love, even though he still did not want to be king. 

His words echoed in her mind, sending her heart fluttering. "If denying my birthright means I lose you, then I will endure the demands of kingship. I will follow you, wherever you lead, Princess."

In time, she hoped his attitude toward kingship would develop into something positive. For now, she was satisfied with simply having him by her side. She could handle the responsibilities herself, so long as Shade supported her. It would be a revolution, for a Queen to handle the kingdom's affairs. Elysia was ready to tackle such societal changes. 

Ironically, she feared little for her future responsibilities as queen, and instead felt nervous for the next step in her relationship with Shade. In the past, they never allowed their desires to overcome them. Or at least, Shade never did. Were it up to Elysia, who knows how far they would have gone? Shade showed the most restraint, and she was glad for it now. 

Because tonight the scandal of their relationship would be no more. She could love him openly and entirely, giving herself to him completely. And that terrified her more than anything else. 

Making the walk down the aisle a second time was much more embarrassing than the first. Everyone was staring at her with mixed expressions, most of them completely confuddled. The guests were given no explanation for the switch, other than that Shade was the true heir to Susurros, and Finnian was no longer the groom. 

At the end of the aisle, waiting for her, was Shade. Wearing the same old cloak he always wore, though now his hood was down, his face on display for all to see. She wondered how he felt about that, knowing he must feel naked with his face exposed. Now to have hundreds of strangers, staring at him. It was sure to be an odd feeling. 

Looking at his face, however, he showed no signs of unease. In fact, she had never seen him smile so much before. He was always so serious, so somber. It tugged on her heartstrings, to know their relationship brought him such joy. That she alone was capable of producing such a reaction from him.

Although Elysia's dress was no surprise to Shade, his reaction was still better than anything she could have hoped for. He was looking at her in a new light, no longer resisting the urge to love her, but allowing himself to fall completely and hopelessly in love with her.

She felt as though she were gliding on air, and when at last she reached her guardian, and her father gave her away for a second time, the priest finally spoke.

It was evident the priest had never witnessed something like this before. One groom being swapped for another within an hour's time. But he carried on with as much grace as he could muster, though he faltered a few times. 

"Would you like to exchange any personal vows?" He whispered, looking between the two of them.

To her surprise, Shade spoke first. "My entire life has been about blending into the shadows and living selflessly in the servitude of others. But I would go against everything I know if it meant I could love you freely and openly. And I do, I love you, Elysia. I vow to protect you, to keep you safe, and to love you for the rest of my life."

Normally such a beautiful and sentimental statement from Shade would bring forth a current of tears. But she could only smile, her cheeks starting to hurt from the force. 

"And I," began Elysia, her voice quivering with emotion, "vow to run towards you, and never away from you." She thought back to all her attempts at escaping him, only successful once. "I will support you and encourage you. As long as I live, I shall love you. And I vow to never, ever, poison you again."

This last statement made Shade laugh, while the priest looked grimly concerned. No doubt, all in attendance thought her vows ludicrous, but they were meaningful to her. And she knew it would make Shade laugh. 

When at last they were declared man and wife, Elysia forgot about everyone else, and kissed her husband with enthusiasm.