Chapter 8

The next morning, Henry's father stopped him as he was about to head down to the training grounds.

"Have you spoken with Princess Karolina yet?" King Alan asked.

"Not since yesterday," the prince admitted, shrugging his shoulders.

The king looked at his son. "Don't you think you should spend the day with her? Show her around the castle? Make her feel comfortable here, give her some company?"

Henry internally sighed. He had thought his job was done yesterday, he hadn't thought he would have to continue to entertain the princess. After all, her parents were still here, couldn't they spend time with her until their departure?

"Is she even up yet?" Henry could not hide the annoyance from his tone. He would much rather be training right now with Miles and working on his skills.

"Henry, the entire kingdom is always awake before you, of course she's up."

His father was always berating Henry for his inability to wake up earlier than noon. Regardless, Henry could never force himself to wake any sooner than he normally did. He enjoyed his sleep. His excuse was the vast amount of abuse his body took every day in training and exercising. He deserved to sleep in. 

"She's down stairs eating breakfast. She woke up shortly before you. Looks like you two have something in common," his father mused.

Henry rolled his eyes and hurried downstairs to find Princess Karolina. She was eating as his father had said she would be. Henry caught her at a humorous time, with a pastry shoved in her mouth.

She blushed and quickly swallowed the sweet, then wiped any crumbs from her mouth with a napkin. Her translator was by her side as always, making Henry feel both comforted and annoyed. He liked that there was someone else to ease any tension but yet he would also appreciate some alone time with the princess.

"Did you have any plans for today?" Henry asked, turning on his usual charm as he spoke. Though he was annoyed that he would not get to train today, his mood was instantly brightened once he caught sight of his beautiful bride to be.

"The princess has no plans for the day other than tonight when she must bid King Lemoine and Queen Rachel ado. They are retuning to Copia tonight after dinner."

"Well until then," Henry started, "why don't I give you the grande tour?"

Princess Karolina was more than eager to accept his offer. She left the remnants of her food and followed Prince Henry.

Henry first showed the Princess the kitchen, since it was closest. Sirey was working hard as always, preparing lunch already. When the young apprentice-chef caught sight of Henry, she groaned. Though the girl could not deny the prince's obvious attractiveness, she knew him too well to be swooned. He was far too much of a jerk to be attractive in the eyes of Sirey.

"I would appreciate it if you would kindly leave my workplace," Sirey said haughtily. "Me and the rest of the staff have a lot of work to do and you and your entourage are very much in the way."

Henry rolled his eyes. It seemed as though Sirey was always yelling at him for something. But he knew it was because she had a thing for Ralf. Why, he would never understand.

"I'm just showing Princess Karolina around. Besides," he added. "Last time I checked, this way my castle."

Sirey stopped her stirring and shot a glare at Henry. "Actually this is King Alan's castle."

Henry, not in the mood to argue with her, quickly showed Princess Karolina out of the kitchen and towards the library.

"I never come in here much myself," the prince admitted. "I'm more of a man of action than a man of words. I find the sword far more superior than any pen could ever be."