Chapter 83

An impatient knock on the door awakened the sleeping Princess. Once she recalled the events that transpired last night, she looked around for Shade. He was in front of her, standing near the edge of the bed, shrugging on his shirt.

"Hide," she hissed, hurrying to make sure the room was presentable with no evidence of a man spending the night.

Shade narrowed his eyes at her, as if the statement was unnecessary. "Obviously," he said, darting out of sight.

She didn't have time to watch him hide. She stood up and hurried to the door, opening it just enough to peer outside. It was her grandmother.

"Have you made a decision?" Her voice was eager and excited, as if she could hardly wait for a response.

"Not yet, Grandmother," she kept the door cracked just enough to talk.

Maria huffed. "You mustn't keep them waiting much longer, Granddaughter, or they may lose interest."

She struggled to bite back a retort, thinking it wouldn't be the worst thing if they lost interest and went home. In fact, she was starting to wonder if that were an option.

As if Maria could sense her thoughts, her eyes narrowed, staring beadily into Elysia's. "It's a good thing you're doing, darling. Don't ruin it and make a fool of your father."

She bit her lip, wondering if it were too late. After all, there was a man in her room, something Maria would have a heart attack discovering. Not to mention the man was not a suitor, but in fact her guardian.

"Give me the hour to think on it. Then I'll get dressed and make the announcement."

Maria smiled, "Very good, best be off then. You have a big decision to make."

Elysia closed the door and turned. She ran a hand through her hair, sinking to the floor. She could do this, she could get through it. For her father, for her kingdom.

Then she looked at Shade, and all her resolve melted like snow.

"What am I going to do?" she buried her face in her hands.

Shade approached her slowly, as if thinking of the right thing to say. He knelt beside her, joining her on the floor, their backs leaning against the wall. He turned his head to her and she felt that tug, that pull on her heart. She wanted him. More than anything she wanted to be with him. And that both confused and terrified her to the very core. This was never supposed to happen. She was never supposed to develop feelings for him; yet here they were, raging within her.

Her breathing became rapid as the anxiety of it all consumed her. This was too big a decision, too life-altering.

These feelings for her guardian, though strong and passionate, were new. Sure, she had felt an occasional pull to him before last night. Their relationship had been gradual, deepening slowly, until enveloping her all at once. There wasn't time to analyze her every emotion for him, or determine whether their relationship would last.

She wasn't even sure what their relationship was. He wanted to keep her safe, she knew that. And there was certainly passion, a burning desire between them. But what else? Could it develop into something more with time? She would never know, never have the chance to explore these feelings.

"This is too much," she mumbled into her hands.

She felt Shade wrap an arm around her, scooting closer. Instantly his touch soothed her, though her thoughts still raced.

She turned her head to look at him. "What should I do?"

He shook his head. "I can't tell you that, Princess."