Chapter 90

All was right in the world. Henry had never been so pleased. His sister was about to be married, a future Queen of Susurrus. Ralf and Karolina were finally allowed to be together, their engagement secured. Soon Henry would have his own wedding, though he imagined Mavis would prefer their vows to be exchanged somewhere more private, in the countryside perhaps. 

Sure, there was horrible war knocking on their borders, but that could wait. It would wait. All three siblings would reach their happily ever after and all would be well. They would win the war, and jumpstart their lives. 

Henry was enjoying the scene before him, watching happily as his sister married the man she had chosen. He was certain his sister must love this man. Otherwise, as stubborn as she is, she wouldn't be about to pledge herself to him. While it seemed like a quick decision, he was sure love would eventually follow, if the two weren't already in love. 

The position of future Queen was sure to please Elysia. She was ambitious and headstrong. She had so many ideas, a true desire to help people, Henry knew she was well-suited for the role of Queen. He only hoped Finnian would allow her opportunities to share her ideas. With Elysia as Queen, Susurrus was sure to become a prosperous kingdom.

Ralf's grumbling distracted Henry. "What are you groaning on about?" he muttered. Ralf could hardly keep still, he kept shifting around so much he was practically nudging Henry every few seconds.

"This isn't right," Ralf hissed through his teeth. 

Henry frowned. Was he referring to the marriage? How could that be? He wanted to argue the contrary, but stopped. Ralf knew Elysia better than anyone. They were twins; they shared a connection Henry envied. If Elysia was putting on a show, Ralf would know. 

Rather than wait for evidence, Henry decided to trust his brother knew best on this one. "What can we do?"

Just as Ralf was about to speak, the double doors to the chapel burst open. Henry stood on instinct, ready to defend against any intruder. 

"Sorry I'm late!" An old, spindly woman dared to walk confidently down the aisle, as if everyone had been waiting for her.

Henry narrowed his eyes, trying to understand who this woman was and what exactly she was doing crashing his sister's wedding. Her clothing was tattered and drab, hardly something to wear to a wedding. As if noticing Henry's thoughts, she snapped her fingers, and her clothing morphed into a radiant dress. Her appearance, too, transformed. No longer did an old, wobbly woman stand before them, but a young, fresh-faced beauty. 

"I simply love weddings," she proclaimed, somehow loud enough for all to hear. "Which one is this? Prince Ralf and Princess Karolina's?"

One of the guests shook their head, their face bewildered and frightened.

The woman frowned. "No? Then whose is it?"

The guest pointed down the aisle, everyone's attention drawing back to Finnian and Elysia. Finnian looked scared, his face red. Elysia was confused and almost excited. Henry noticed Shade was at her side, ready to defend her against anything.

Was this woman a threat? He was still baffled as to who she was. 

The woman grinned, clapping her hands together. "Oh good, it's Princess Elysia and..." she paused. "Who are you?" she asked, pointing to Finnian.

Finnian's mouth hung open, as if too shocked to speak. Eventually, he managed, "Sir Finnian, future King of Susurrus."

The woman doubled over with laughter. Henry stepped forward, but Ralf held him back.

"I know her," Ralf said.

Henry frowned. "Who is she?"

Before Ralf could answer, the woman carried on. "No, no, no this isn't right at all. She's supposed to marry the other one. What's his name again?" She looked up at the ceiling for inspiration. Suddenly she seemed to remember. "Ah yes, Gabriel."