Chapter 78

As they transitioned from the dining hall to the ballroom, Ralf hurried to find Princess Karolina. He had been waiting anxiously for his turn to speak with her. For most of the evening she was conversing with her mother and sisters and speaking with other women from a nearby kingdom. It seemed she was well among friends here.

He wanted a moment alone with her before she was whisked away to dance. Her friends remained close to her, circled together as they spoke amongst themselves. Eventually, Ralf could not wait any longer.

He approached her timidly, clearing his throat. "Could I have a word with you?"

Princess Karolina eyed him reluctantly, as if she would rather stay with her friends. Did she know about Henry's idea? Had King Alan spoken with King Lemoine yet about the new proposal? He had to know.

When Karolina looked away, Ralf took a step toward her, his voice soft. "Please."

Warily, she finally stepped away from her friends, following Ralf to a more quiet part of the room. During the feast he thought of all the things he wanted to say to her. He had their conversation completely planned out. Suddenly, all those words disappeared as he stared at her.

She was beautiful, dressed magnificently in crimson and black, her gown bringing out the sharpness of her eyes.

"You look incredible," he whispered, the only words he could find in the moment.

She glanced at her friends, then back to Ralf. "What is it Ralf?"

His heart squeezed. Was he actually annoying her? "I wanted to talk to you about something."

Karolina sighed. "Is it going to take long? I'm expected to dance soon and mingle with others."

"Have you spoken with your father about us?"

This time she held his gaze. "Of course I talked with him about us. He doesn't approve, Ralf. In fact, he's furious. He wants to call the whole alliance off."

"Wait no, he can't do that," Ralf sputtered. They had a plan, a plan that benefited everyone. That plan was ruined if King Lemoine was too upset to hear it out.

"He can and he has," said Karolina. "We did a terrible thing, Ralf, and these are the consequences of it."

She turned to walk away, but Ralf's voice stopped her. "But our children would be next in line for the throne."

She stopped. "How?"

"Henry would still be king, but his children would not succeed him. If we were to marry, our children would be next in line. We could still have an alliance."

Princess Karolina's eyes shifted as she absorbed the idea. "We could be together?"

Ralf nodded. "If you still want to be, that is."

He waited, watching her expression. She looked confused, conflicted. Then, relieved. The way she looked at Ralf made his heart finally unclench. In that moment he wanted to embrace her, to spin her around and laugh together. But they were still in public. So instead, she took hold of his hand, squeezing it with hope.

"Of course I still want you, Ralf. I never stopped wanting you."