Chapter 77

Henry had already shaken hands with a dozen diplomats, a handful of royals, and more noblemen than he could count. Though he tried to remember their names, most were forgotten as new ones were introduced. 

His sister was a welcome sight; at last someone he knew and was comfortable with. King Alan had been caught in conversation with a group of royals for practically an hour, leaving Henry to fend for himself.

Elysia looked amazing, the dress making her seem ethereal; though her eyes lacked enthusiasm. To anyone else she would have appeared thrilled to be there. Henry could see the past the facade. He glanced around, noting the vast majority of men wore masks. 

He talked with his sister for a while before King Alan took his place at the table, signaling dinner was about to start. The rest of the guests found their seats and dinner was served.

The food was delicious. The conversations were polite and quiet. Henry knew this was an opportunity to build friendships for the future. When he eventually became King, he would need to know these people, understand their cultures, build relationships. He needed to be likable. 

A year ago, Henry putting effort into a conversation was never believable. He always came across as trying too hard. Now, his discussions came naturally. His interest was genuine. For the first time, Henry felt it was easier to relax and let things come naturally than to try so hard. Mavis helped him understand there was more to him than the title and strength. He could be fun to talk to when he relaxed.

His night was going well. If Mavis and Wilkin were there, it would have been perfect. He found himself laughing more, opening up to others and listening to their stories. There were some hilarious noblemen his own age present. Not everyone there was a complete bore as he used to think. 

The thought of becoming king one day was no longer as daunting as it once was. In fact, Henry was starting to feel good about it. With his position he had a real opportunity to help people. The more he spoke with those around him, the more ideas he was able to develop. It was fascinating, learning the successes of other kingdoms, hearing what was working and what wasn't.

The Prince wished it would have been acceptable to take notes. He was learning so much and he had so many questions bouncing around his mind, too many to keep track of. 

When it seemed the majority had finished eating, King Alan stood, and announced it was time to move into the ballroom.