Chapter 24: Not out of the woods just yet.

"What the hell happened to me", I said as I opened my eyes. I felt like I was asleep for what seemed to be ages. The only person I saw was a nurse in the distance. She took a small glance in my room and nearly screamed.

"Oh my god, she's awake", she practically yelled. Then it hit me, I was in the hospital, but what for. That part seemed to be hidden and my brain did not want to remember. I got a headache just trying to, better for the memory come back on its on. Though I couldn't not remember why I was here, I did remember why I was here the last time. Oh crap, please don't tell me I had another miscarriage. Tears began to roll down my face as that memory came back. I quickly wiped them away as soon as I heard footsteps approaching my room.

"Ah, Ms. Santini, good to hear you're awake. How are you feeling", the doctor asked while writing something down in his clipboard.

"Um, fine I guess. How long was I asleep", I replied hazily.

"Good to hear you're fine and to answer your question: its been, oh I say, three days. Give or take a few hours", he said handing the clipboard to the nurse and walking out.

"The hospital already called your brother and father to tell them about your state here and I think one of them is on their way", the nurse said injecting something into the IV bag. My brother, that's right, he's here. I'm pretty sure he's the one coming over, dad is clearly to smitten with his perfect daughter, Angela, and equally perfect wife, Kate.

Thankfully, my assumptions were right and Alex walked through the door. His presence just made me light up. He practically ran to me and pulled me in for a hug when I said his name.

"How you doing kiddo", he said he stroked the back of my head.

"Fine, I guess. I've been out for three days", I said in tears.

"Yeah you have. Do you know why?" I shook me head and his facial expression became worried.

"I don't think I should tell you then. Let me get the okay from the doc", he said getting up an leaving before I could get a word in. A few minutes later the doctor came back in followed by my brother, of course.

"Ms. Smith I hear you're having a bit of memory loss", he said.

"Yeah, I can remember what happened yesterday, well threes days ago, but only up to a certain point. The rest is a blank."

"What the last thing you remember?" My cheeks immediately flushed red as the memory of me and Damien making up flashed into my head.

"I was out for a run, then coming home. Pulling up unto the driveway was the last thing I-", then it hit me with a giant headache. I grasped my head with hands trying to suppress it, but it was too great. Short pieces of memories came flooding back as the headache grew stronger. The screaming going on in the house, Alex bleeding, Angela with a knife, the struggle, then Angela digging the knife into me. It was all their taunting me.

"She stabbed me", was all I could say and then I shut down. I was still awake, just not there anymore. I could see people talking, but it was all just mumbles from here on out. It was like I had lost them or they lost me. My sub-conscious didn't want to be in the real world and neither did I. Night and day passed and I just lay there staring at a blank wall. Eating when I was told and just getting up to use the bathroom. It was like everything was happening super fast and I was stuck in slow motion.

"The doctor doesn't think you're ready to be released. He fears that this has traumatized you severely and he wants to put you in a psychiatric hospital", Alex said. I don't know what happened, but the word psychiatric brought me back from my world.

"No, don't put me there please", I said siting back up. Alex was surprised at my reaction, but was happy I could still react.

"I'll tell him you're slowly coming back to us", he said getting up and left. I hated seeing Alex leave because he could only come by like every four days. Apparently he was in high demand by his boss, but he was my only visitor and things got pretty lonely when he left. That's probably why I left, zoned out completely when he left. I would only come back when he visited then slip back into my world when he left. Whenever the nurses or doctors came to check up on me I was always in deep thought about my what ifs. What if I didn't come home that night? What if I didn't forgive Damien? What if I stayed with Collin? What if I never let Damien into my room that homecoming night? That's the one that I think about the most. Though I know the answer, I wouldn't be in this situation, my heart tells me eventually something was going to happen between us.

"I don't see why you don't get more visitors. You're a very pretty girl and I seem to recall your Rachel mentioning a boy", the nurse said as she checked my vital signs. Where is my boyfriend? I couldn't help but notice her flawless cocoa brown skin. God why can't mine like that. After two weeks in the hospital I had given up on looking good, so I just went with how I woke up.

"I was hoping maybe you would know",I finally said. She just laughed, clearly happy to see me responding.

"Well if he hasn't come to visit you yet, dump his sorry but honey", she said with a snap if her fingers.

"I just might, if he showed up", I said with a smile. I forgot how much I loved talking. My body had been deprived of any social contact for so long, it was happy to respond to anything.

"Speak of the devil", she said looking at figure standing at the doorway.

"May I come in", he asked.

"Just a,moment", the nurse said.

"Okay we have a few seconds to fix you up. Show him what he's about to loose", she said fixing my bed head and handing me some lip gloss.

" You're insane", I said with a laugh.

"Well if you don't dump him, at least look decent enough for a reconcile, I'll be back in thirty minutes, so if you do forgive him you know when to stop."

"Eww you're gross", I said as she walked away.

"You can go in now", I heard her say. I was dreading this moment, all the built up anger of not getting one visit from him was about to explode.

"Hey", he said as he walked up to the bed. I just waved at him like if it were any other day.

"I was gonna visit you sooner but-"

"No you weren't. You never f*cking came and now that I'm awake I don't t want to see you, ever so just go", I said cutting him off in mid sentence.

"Not until you hear me out. I was going to say, I would have come sooner but I've been busy with this whole Angela case. Both your dad and stepmom are saying that on your behalf you don't want to press charges and I disagree and so does Alex, but we really don't have a say. So that's what we're working with."

"No and don't care. It was a waist of time because I don't -" his lips were on mine before I could finish my sentence. I tried for a while to fight the kiss, pushing him, pounding on his chest, but when I felt his tongue lick my lower lip I melted and let him in.i wrapped me arms around his neck and pretty soon he was on top of me.

It didn't help having a heart monitor on my finger because the longer the kiss lasted the faster my heart rate was. It was funny to hear the beeps increasing even Damien began to laugh.

"Maybe we should stop", he said releasing me from his lips.

"Yeah maybe", I said unplugging the stupid monitor then pulling him in for a kiss. Now that the stupid heart monitor was put of the way, my stupid IV could begin to ruin the moment. Every movement I made the needle in my vain move, it hurt like a b!tch. Good thing I had Damien's lips as a perfect distraction.

-----------------

Author's Note:

Original:

Hey guy, here is the second to last update. Our story has almost come to the end, but no worries there is an epilogue which will hopefully be up by the end of this week, if not Monday afternoon.

Update: I've decided to add one more chapter after this, I'm taking down the epilogue, this story is under major revisions.