Chapter 20: Mistletoe

Author's Note: I'm pretty sure we're coming to the end of this story, maybe there's a sequel in the future or maybe not. Hopefully a spin-off.

***

Time seemed to fly by faster than usual. I didn't really feel like trying today so I just went to school with a messy side braid and my beanie. As soon as the bell rang I ran to my car completely ignoring the leadership announcement and the summons to meet with Ms. Bredahoft, I did not want to get stuck decorating.

"Why didn't you go to the meeting afterschool today", Cynthia said over the phone.

"I knew they were make us decorate and I refuse to anymore work", I said hanging my head from the bed.

"So what are you doing instead?"

"Letting the blood flow to my head, letting my procrastination take over. I'm probably get ready the last minute."

"Well at least you have someone to get ready for, I am dateless and above your date is Tyler. He's in one of my classes and when we talk I feel so bubbly and he's funny, and smart and-"

"Who are talking to on the phone Jade", my dad asked barging into my room unannounced.

"Cynthia dad, now relax." He nodded and walked back out. I thought Cynthia was waiting for me to reply, but when I put the phone back to my ear Cynthia was still going on about Tyler.

"Why did you tell me he was gay", I said finally interrupting her.

"Because maybe I wanted him to ask me, I was jealous okay."

"Do I sense a little crush or a major crush?"

"Um no, got to go." I didn't even get to say goodbye. It didn't really matter because when school was over Cynthia came straight to my house since we decided to leave the dresses and shoes at my house. I was waiting for Cynthia to come when I heard a knock at my window.

"You're insane, we have a door you know", I told Cynthia as I opened the window for her.

"Shhhh, someone is having an argument with a certain someone over a certain baby. I didn't want to interrupt that."

"Is it just me or do they seem to be going downhill", Cynthia asked handing me her make- up bag.

"You're not alone, but who cares as long as my name doesn't come up I'm good."

"Ok, so it's 4 so we have three hours until the dance starts and since we're in leadership we have to be there an hour early so we have 2 hours to get ready."

"This is the part where I start to pull my hair out again. I'm going to shower and while I do that you set out everything, then when I get out you rush in there."

"Ready? Break!"

"Ahaha you're so funny", I said smacking Cynthia with a towel. We were both able to take a 15 minute shower since I was used to rushing because of Angela and I threatened Cynthia to turn off the hot water. It didn't take long for our hair to dry. I let Cynthia do my hair, big mistake. I ended up having curls everywhere; there was no going back so I just swept it to the side. Surprisingly, it looked so much better.

"Want me to do you make up", Cynthia said holding up a brush.

"No thank you I can do it myself, you should get ready." Even though Cynthia managed mess up mine; her hair looked amazing. It was all pinned up with two strands of hair hanging on both sides of her face.

"Wait what about Tyler", Cynthia said as we got in my car.

"He's meeting us at the dance we do have to be there early remember?" When we go to the dance Cynthia spotted Tyler before I did. Apparently he was ok with getting there early. I waved at him, but I decided to wait with Cynthia.

"Aren't you going to go over there."

I shook my head, "No he's not my date, he's yours. Yeah I figured you two would be better off together. He can't stop talking about you, just like you can't stop talking about him."

"Now you don't have a date."

"Its fine I'm going to be running around like crazy anyways, makes me regret wearing heels, but don't worry I'll be fine." The regret of wearing heels started to set in pretty fast. While others were dancing the night away I was running around like a maniac once again. I could feel the blisters forming, so when they sent me to the office I decided to go barefoot and I held my heels in my hand. As I walked to the office I passed the lunch area where I saw Collin and Justin arguing about some bet and how Collin lost and it was too late to do anything about it and he had pay up. Boy did I feel bad for that girl. As I got to the quad of our school I noticed a couple arguing. The dark green dress was a tall tale sign of who it was. I didn't recognize Damien because instead of wearing the suit Angela chose he just wore a blue dress shirt with some black pants instead. I'm guessing that's why Angela was mad. Walk fast and ignore them. I kept repeating to myself.

"Jade, come." Too late.

"What do you want, I'm a little busy right now", I said turning to them.

"This will be quick, now come." There goes Angela calling me over like she's my owner and her little dog. I slipped my shoes back on and walked towards them.

"Make it quick, I have to get the keys to the bathroom before someone makes yellow snow."

"Eww that's gross and don't you think Damien would have looked better in the suit?"

"Honestly, no, this isn't prom calm down Angela, let it go, now I have to go", I said turning around. Now that, that argument was over another one could begin. That's the only thing I saw them do, argue all night long and one extremely awkward dance. Since Angela is pregnant my dad came to pick her up and hour early and I was forced to walk her outside. When I came back inside I saw Damien standing by the doorway, stay away, I warned myself. I couldn't really do that because he grabbed my arm and pulled me in for a kiss. A sweet gentle kiss, before I could react to it, he let me go and looked up. "Mistletoe", he said smiling. Before anything else could happen Cynthia pulled me away. I went into the bathroom to wash all the sweat off my face, but I decided not too after I saw the mess.

"There are fake eyelashes, mascara and lipstick smeared everywhere", Cynthia said trying not to touch anything. She went on complaining about it and then switched to how great Tyler was and blah, blah, blah. I toned her out with my thoughts about Damien. It surprised me that he didn't do or try anything else when Cynthia pulled me away. Maybe he stopped trying. Part of me was happy, but the other wasn't. My soft side was saying talk it out, don't let him suffer with Angela, he happier with you and he knows it and so do you. I followed Cynthia out the bathroom, still lost in my own thoughts.

"I feel bad for him."

"Feel bad for who?" I didn't realize I had said that aloud.

"Oh um. The janitor, yeah she has to clean all that up, poor her."

"So how's your date", I asked her trying to change the topic.

"Weren't you listening", she asked annoyed with her arms crossed.

"Uh, yeah I just think it's cute how you talk about him."

"You're a terrible liar and don't tell me you're thinking about that kiss. I know after the dance Tyler is throwing an after party at his house. Let's go so you'll forget all about him. Get drunk or buzzed in your case, make out with couple of guys."

"You're insane, but I'll go I do not want to be home with Angela." When the last dance was called Cynthia and I decided to leave so we wouldn't be forced to stay after and clean. Tyler had already left a couple minutes before, so we were going to meet him there. I parked the car and took a deep breath. I was nervous; my mind was telling me something was going to go bad, but I didn't know exactly what it was. we got there so fast I didn't even get to rethink my choice.

"Let's not go...how about we go to my house and just hang out."

"Don't chicken out on me now."

"Something doesn't seem right."

"You're just anxious or something like that, come on Jade you need this." Maybe I did, no more excuses. Let's do this.