Chapter Forty Four

Chapter Forty Four :

Vivian's P.O.V

I walked out of the restaurant with Liam behind me. Tears were rolling down my cheeks, and I wiped them with the sleeve of my cardigan. The two of us didn't say anything to each other. I didn't blame Liam for not saying anything. He did nothing wrong. I was the one he took to Paris to propose to, and I said no.

We got into the limo Liam had rented for tonight. This made me feel even more awful. We both sat across from each other. I let out a small sigh as I stared out the window, taking in the city lights.

"I'm sorry, Liam."

"It's fine," Liam replied. I looked over at him and he gave me a small smile. I could tell it was fake. I was the one to cause it, and it broke my heart.

"For real, Liam. I'm sorry. It's just that, I-"

"Can we drop this?" his voice cracked.

I nodded and looked away from him.

When we got to the hotel, we walked straight to the lift and stood about five inches from each other. Liam still held the black, velvet box that held the diamond ring I was supposed to be wearing on my ring finger. The elevator operator, or lift man as some people call him, pressed the button for the floor we were on after Liam quietly told him.

The doors were about to shut when a man and a woman came running into the elevator. They stood in front of us and the lift man pressed the button for their floor.

The couple were holding hands, and that's when I noticed the woman was wearing a ring. And just an engagement ring.

You have to be kidding me.

"Don't you just love Paris?" the girl looked back at Liam and me, and we both put on our big, fake smiles and nodded. She laughed and then looked directly at Liam. "Oh my gosh! You're that guy from that band, right?"

And she's a carrot, too. How awesome.

"Huge fan of your music!" the girl smiled.

I bet she is.

"Thank you," Liam said.

"You're welcome," the girl smashed him a smile before turning her head back around. The two got out of the elevator, and then we got out on the next floor.

The two of us walked to the hotel room, and Liam put the room key in and was about to open the door when he froze and cursed under his breath.

"What?" I asked.

"I...just don't get mad when I open the door," Liam said, looking at me. I rose and eyebrow. He sighed and opened the door.

Before I could even step a foot into the room, Liam flickered the light on and my eyes grew wide at what I saw.

"CONGRATULATIONS!"

There stood both our families, jumping out of hiding spots and smiling. It was like I just showed up to a surprise party for a little kid or something. Except, this wasn't a birthday party. Though, there were colorful balloons everywhere.

I couldn't take it anymore. First the happy couple in the elevator, and now this? I started to cry and ran to the bathroom. I slammed the door shut and sat down in the floor with my back leaning against the door.

"She said no," I heard Liam tell our families before any of them could question my sudden outburst.

"No?" a voice said. It sounded like Nicola. "Why would she say no? She loves you."