Chapter Eighty Two

Chapter Eighty Two :

Thanksgiving.

A national holiday celebrated in America on the fourth Thursday of November in memory of the original harvest in 1621. Or, in other words, the day American families stuff up on food, sleep, then play a game of football out in the cool autumn air and leaves.

My family was never big on celebrating Thanksgiving until now. I guess that's why my mom was going all out this year.

Michelle Clarke had a few of her assistants order cook books, email pie recipes, and write lists of what the average American family does on Thanksgiving to help educate and ready herself.

Again, I guess this is why she woke everyone in the house up at 8:00 in the morning to watch the annual Macy's Day Parade.

"Why are you waking everyone up? The parade doesn't start for another hour," Alexander said from the couch, his arm wrapped around his fiance.

"I thought we could all wake up together and get excited while watching the countdown," my mother replied. She held the TV remote with one hand and stood in front of the room.

"So, what you really mean to say is, we're going to watch Matt Laur and Savannah Guthrie talk nonsense for an entire hour?" my brother asked.

"Oh, don't forget the Black Friday deals they advertise every fifteen minutes," I added.

My mother opened her mouth to speak, but my uncle Matthew cut her to it.

"Speaking of which, WalMart is giving out free laptops to its first one hundred customers," he said, pointing to the TV. "And has 70% off all kitchenware."

"Great! I've been wanting a coffee maker for sometime now," one of Jason's sisters said.

Jason turned to his sister. "Chloe, you're thirteen."

"So?" Chloe said, crossing her arms. "Having one will save me money on Starbucks."

"Alexander," my mother began as she tried to move the room's attention back to her. "As I was going to say, I thought waking us all up would get us in the holiday spirit. Hopefully watching the parade will help with that."

I could hear my brother sigh.

"I'm in the mood for Starbucks at the mention of coffee," Alexander said, brushing the words of our mother off. "Anyone want me to bring them back something?"

"Ooh, I'll take a pumpkin---"

I saw Chloe's mother send her a look.

"I mean, no. I'm good."

Alexander was at the door. He held keys to our father's car in his hand, the door knob in the other. It seemed the amount of time he stood there, motionless, would make him lose his recent appetite for Starbucks coffee. But Alexander didn't put the car keys back on the hook or sit down on the couch next to Macy.

"You might miss the parade," our mother said in a desperate voice. "Don't you want to see the floats, balloons, and the Clauses?"

"It doesn't start for another hour, mom," Alexander began to open the door. "Besides, if I want to see Santa in a sleigh, I'll just go to the mall tomorrow and have my picture taken with him."

My mother was now gripping the TV remote with two hands. My father walked up to her, and in an effort to calm her, wrapped an arm around her shoulders. I looked over at Macy, who had no clue what to do. I quickly made a choice then and there.

"I'll go talk to him," I said.

Harry was with me. "I'll go with you, Ar---"

"Harry," my father interrupted.