Chapter Seventy Three

Chapter Seventy Three w/ character note :

Harry and I met Alexander and Macy outside of the airport. Alexander had his camera bag strap wrapped around his chest as he dragged a black suitcase behind him. He sent me a smile, and I smiled back.

"Hey, Alexander," I said. I tried to give him a hug, but Baby Styles got in the way. A side hug had to do. "How was the flight?"

"Long and miserable," Alexander glanced over to Macy who had just pulled her designer sunglasses over her eyes. I gave him a questioning look but Alexander drifted the conversation into another direction. He looked to my husband. "Harry."

"Alexander," Harry greeted back.

An awkward silence settled in.

"Um, let's get to the car. Shall we?" I said. The walk to the rental car was quiet. I tried to make conversation with Macy, but that didn't go so great. She only gave one worded answers. I found this a bit strange, but decided not to question it.

Harry drove back to the house, Alexander and I having to help him with the directions. I sat in the back of the vehicle with Macy, who, again, didn't make an effort to keep up with any conversation and flipped through the pages of a fashion magazine she purchased back at Heathrow.

"Ahh, home sweet home," Alexander said as Harry pulled into the driveway. "That's odd. I see a flower garden has start--wait, who the hell is that?"

I didn't notice the colorful flower garden surrounding the sides of the house until now. I unstrapped my seat belt and got out of the car.

"Mom?" I asked in disbelief. I shut the car door.

"Oh, hello, Aria!" my mother greeted.

"Wha...what are you...why are you on the grass?" I asked. Harry got out of the car, and he followed me to the edge of the grass. "You never touch grass."

"I'm gardening. Can't a woman garden, Aria?" my mother gave a soft laugh. She stood up and slipped off her floral printed gardening gloves. When she looked up again, a smile was brought to her face. "Alexander!"

"Hello, mom," Alexander looked out of the half open car window. 

"How have you been?" my mother asked. 

"Uh, I've been good," Alexander said a little awkwardly. "What are you doing in the grass?"

"What are you still doing in the car?" our mother retorted. She put her hands on her hips. "And where is my hug from you?"

Alexander slowly opened the car door, and then turned to open Macy's. Macy closed her magazine, and got out of the car. She stood off to the side of the door while Alexander walked over to our mother.

"I've missed you," my mother hugged him. "How has London been treating you?"

"Good, I guess," Alexander scratched the back of his neck after pulling away from the not-even-five-second hug. "Um, this is Macy." He motioned over to Macy.

Macy looked up from the ground. She gave a shy wave.

My mother crossed her arms. "And she is?"

"My girlfriend?" Alexander said this like it was a question. "I invited her to come along, because..well, we're dating, and she's never celebrated an American holiday before."

"Oh, well, I guess we can get another chair for the table," my mother said. She turned away and slipped back on her gardening gloves over her hands. She picked up the small, hand held rake when she crouched down onto the ground, and continued doing what she was doing.