|42|

|42| Lyla Pembroke |

They said it would be hard to adjust. The first few months were the same repetitive thing. I answered peoples questions, let them sympathize and display pity for me. If anything I felt like things were better back with Niall in Cheshire. In reality they weren't but I was missing the familiarity.

Like I said before, things couldn't be the same with Louis. We still share love for each and he wants it to be like the old Lyla and Louis. Denial. "What we had is still there deep down." Anger. "You were mine before he stole you away from me!" Bargaining. "I'll love the kids just like you do. We'll be a family if you just give us a try." Depression. "I'm nothing without you Lyla." Acceptance. "I really do love you so I respect that your focusing on the kids. If you or the little lads ever need anything, love, I'm there for you."

Callum and Grace are three years old now and are starting to grasp that they don't have a full time Father. I hoped, though it hurt me, that they would never get to know Niall. They'd be too young and want to know how to fix him just like I did. When they asked, "Mommy, where's Daddy?" I would answer with, "Daddy is sick sweetheart. Sometimes he gets frustrated easily or sees things that aren't actually there. He's at a place where the doctors can help him."

The hardest part was getting them to understand was that Niall wasn't getting better anytime soon. I am required to bring both of them by the Cartwright Facility for the Mentally Ill once a month to visit Niall.
Seeing there Father like this had become the normal for them. For this visit we could actually sit across from him instead of behind a glass screen.

"Good behavior?" I ask adjusting Grace on my lap while getting Callum seated in the chair beside mine. Touching was kept to a minimum so there was no warm embraces apart of our welcome.

He wore blue scrubs, his hair's dark roots were showing more, his beard think and dark circles were under his eyes. "You told me to behave, didn't you?" He chuckled to himself as he looked at the kids. "Callum, buddy, how's the little league going. Did your team win?" Unlike Grace, Callum was quite the antisocial child. We were practically forcing him to participate in football. He looked to me give his answer.

"Both teams win because they all tried, right Niall?" I urged him to go along with it.

He nodded, "Right. Doesn't work like that in real life but sure..." I narrow my eyes at him and hope that Callum doesn't pay any mind to it. "Anyways, Grace, how's becoming a unicorn going?"

She received a cute set of unicorn pajamas for Christmas and has developed a very emotional connection to them. "Very good, Mummy says that I can get a unicorn for our birthday cake! A-And it's gonna be huge!" Niall and mainly Grace have a big conversation to catch up.

"Lyla, c-can we talk about something private?" He asked anxiously. I looked back to find my Mother who's been helping me get back on my feet by taking care of the kids.

"Children, go over to Nanny and play, okay?"

"Okay Mummy!" Grace answered jumping off my lap and taking Callum's hand. I watch them get over safely before sighing and turning back to face him.

"How come you didn't visit last week on Father's Day?" He asked and I had to make up a lie. "I was expecting you a-and no o-one came."

"My Dad wanted the kids to spend the day with him," Niall's face turned to frustration and anger. My Father despised everything about Niall and wanted to keep him away from the kids on Father's Day. "It's no big deal since we sent cards and-"

He slammed his fist down alerting the wardens but I calmed him by placing a hand over his. "Don't cut our time shorter Niall."

"That wasn't my point," he responds as he collects himself. "I've had several meeting with my solicitor and he wants to help me get out of here so we can spend everyday together. He sees me getting better just like you do-"

"I-"

"Don't say what I think you're going to say. He can do this, I believe in him! All you have to do is sign some things to help us be able to present it to a judge."

"You're not getting out of here with a murder and kidnapping conviction-"

"A murder charge, not conviction!" He interrupted with a strong point but it's not like he didn't know he killed Kate. I rolled my eyes, there were many other charges to worry about. Could he really get a chance to be released from this place? What would happen to our family then? Would it be like before? "Just please promise me you'll sign whatever. This is my only chance, Lyla, so we can be a family again."

The look in his eyes was sincere. He was desperate to make this happen. "Please Lyla," he begged as I began to stand from my seat. "They need a father...we made a vow to each other!" For better or for worse. For worse. He was sincere but he had been sincere many times before. He was sincere to me before he killed my best friend and he was sincere while he was torturing my ex-boyfriend right beneath my feet. "Please Lyla! Angel!"

I fell for the gleam of innocence captured in his eyes.

Not anymore.

He reached out to grab a hold of my arm. I struggle to pull away and then the male nurses rushed over to pull him away from me. I fixed the sleeve that was pulled down because of him. "I won't do it Niall! I wish the best for you and your recovery but me and the kids aren't the ones who can fix everything. The kids and I will see you next month." He continued to shout for me as they shoved a syringe into his neck.

A tear didn't fall though I was flooded with emotions. Grace rushed over with Callum and they both grabbed one of my hands. "Mummy, why does Daddy yell and scream for us like that?"

"Oh baby, Daddy just loves us very much."

The End.