|40|

|40| Captured Innocence |

A draft blew Lyla's hair into her face. She set Callum down in Niall's arms who was sat on the rocking chair of the new nursery. With Grace rocking in her arms she went to close the vent. "I think this is the first moment of silence we've had in a few days." Niall noticed her small grin. He appreciated the moment where there was no child screaming in his ear.

If they weren't passing sickness between each other and crying for every little thing Niall could handle being around them full time like Lyla did. Lyla appreciated every little bit Niall chipped in but he works full time and there's a lot she has to do alone.

"I think you're right angel." Niall leaned back feeling a sense of relaxation. She walked back towards Niall and placed a kiss on Grace's forhead then leaned down to place one on Callum's.

She lifted her head, her mouth inches away from Niall's and said, "You stay here Daddy and I'll clean up the kitchen." She pecked his lips as Niall found her caregiving side extremely attractive. She left her husband and two children rocking in the chair as she slowly let the door close.

She tied her silk robe tighter and made her way into the messy kitchen. Baby bottles stacked on dirty plates and it was evident where Niall created a makeshift changing table earlier. She sighed and got to work. She was in love despite all she's been through, she was in a good place yet she undoubtedly felt duller than ever before.

Over the sound of clanging plates and rushing water she almost didn't her the loud thump. It took her second to recollect her thoughts and shut off the water to see if she heard it again...and she did. Ignore it, something inside told her...and she did. Until it go louder but then it weakened.

Once the dishes were finished she padded over to the back door. She flipped on the light connecting to the outside to see if some night animal may be digging through the garbage. Immediately she wanted to call Niall but that would just wake the children. Besides, how dangerous could it possibly be to check? So with a head held high she did.

In an out, it's simple and Niall would never figure out that she's left. She couldn't possibly leave him, he trusted her enough not to bolt the doors shut anymore.

Only with a pair of worn socks covering her feet she walked out into the cool January air. When the thump came again, this time sounding like clashing metal, she jumped. To her surprise the sounds led her to the storm cellar. Her breath caught in her throat. How could she just open the door to all of her nightmares? The starving, the killing and the dank smell of rotten flesh was imaginable.

Lyla was sure that she was in some sort of dream. Thoughts of what could've been kept her going. With shaky hands she lifted the heavy door and suddenly the memories were back. She walked down two steps and anxiously searched for a light switch and when she did all of the light left her eyes.

At the sight of the body at the bottom of stairs. The mess of light brown hair, the gorgeous blue eyes and the stupid tattoos that decorated his arms triggered the deepest memories she buried.

He looked...dead.

[[Okay...I lied...two more chapters left ]