4# A Hopeful Question.

Chapter 4 《Edited By: @Keepfaithmyfriend》

Daniel

The past week had essentially been made for long, harsh training sessions. Paul was being harder on me than usual because of an upcoming match. I appreciated him wanting the best for me, but six hours of training every day is just too much. The only reason the training wasn’t longer was that I had to pick up Delilah. I know she is old enough to walk by herself, considering that she is older than I am. However, I cannot just let her walk all the way home!

I was thinking about all of this and changing into some shorts when Paul stepped in.

"C'mon Daniel, you're taking too long! We have to train every minute, son.”

"I’m coming Paul. Just a minute,” I said. He sighed loudly.

"I will wait in the training room. One minute and you had better be in front of me. Okay?"

"Okay Paul,” I replied grimacing as I grabbed my gloves, and ran after Paul to the training room.

"500 push up and 100 crunches then we will start training. Today, we are going to play a match and you have to focus. Am I clear?" he said, still turning so that I was facing his back.

"Yes, but don’t you think 500 pushups are a little too much?" I asked slowly, and he immediately turned to face me.

"I know what I am saying Daniel! You have a very important match in three days. And you’d better play the match well or we will have to train more. I don’t want to do it myself, and I know you don’t want to as well.” A few mumbles of disagreement passed silently through my lips before I gave in. dropping to the floor, I started doing what he demanded.

"One, two…"

"Quicker!" he demanded.

"Twenty... Thirty… Fifty… One hundred…”

"Continue."

"Six hundred,” I nearly cried in relief when I completed my last crunch.

"Good, but you should make it quicker. You did it seventeen minutes and you should do them in thirteen minutes. We will work on that later, but now get up, put your gloves on and follow me to the other room. You can take five minutes rest first," he said. Well, at least he's letting me rest. When I first got here, he would never give me any rest; I wasn’t very happy about it. Nevertheless, I knew that he was doing it for my sake. I got up, got my gloves, and went to the boxing bag.

"Focus, then start punching," he directed. I nodded, focused in on the bag, and gave it all I had. After I finished, I was panting like a stray dog.

"That's very good. I am proud of you son, but I don't want you to disappoint me in the match." He patted my back and left the room. I sat on the floor, catching my breath. That is when Alan stepped in. Alan is like my older brother, and he has been training here even before I came here.

"Hey man. You look tired,” he commented, setting next to me.

"I fell in Paul's hands. Imagine." I smiled, still out of breath, and he laughed loudly.

"Well may God help you," he chuckled then continued. "I heard you have a match soon."

"Yeah, in three days."

"That's why Paul is doing that. Where is he by the way?"

"Waiting for me to play a match." I rolled my eyes.

"Well take care; don't let him beat the shit out of you,” Alan said. Unfortunately, he wasn’t exactly joking.

"I will try. Bye now, before he comes back.” I gave him a small smile and left for the ring, where I found Paul waiting for me with his arms crossed.