16. The bus ride

CHAPTER 16 - The bus ride

"I'll announce the last names alphabetically and you'll sit according to that in your respective buses, understood?" Our P.E teacher Mr Taylor shouted.

"Yes, Mr Taylor," all the seniors and juniors said in unison.

It was finally the time for our camping trip! We all were assembled to get in the buses. But what was the need to sit alphabetically? It's just a bus, Mr. Taylor!

The field was crowded with all the excited students, ready to get on the bus and get to the camping destination. But no, Mr. Taylor wanted everything to be well organized.

"So, Rose Allison with Dan Andrews..." 

And the list went on and on. And then it finally hit me; N comes after M, which meant Newly after Matthews. 

Sage and Ryan were going to sit together! That was perfect for our plan. During a boring and long bus ride, you weren't left with any option, you were ought to get into some talking with the person next to you.

"Ryan Matthews with Jade Newly." 

Mister P.E teacher said what?

"What? Why me? Sage should sit with him. N comes after M, so, you know sir," I explained, walking fast towards Mr. Taylor.

He narrowed his eyes and spoke,"Look, miss Newly, when there are two same surnames, we see the first name and then set them together. So, according to that, J comes before S, so you have to sit with mister Matthews."

I clenched my jaw with frustration, turned to my heels and saw Ryan with his arms spread out like he was inviting me for a hug. He had a fake emotional look on his face. I stuck out my tongue at him which caused him to chuckle.

My perfect little plan was about to be accomplished when Mr Taylor decided to pour a bucket full of ice water over it. 

What was the motive behind seating the students according to the alphabets? They thought we were as childish as kindergarten students that we've to be arranged on our seats?

"Mr.Taylor, who'll sit with Sage?" I asked before approaching anyone else.

He was holding his paper pad on which the names were written. He took a glance at it and said,"Miss Newly, your sister is a volunteer to help the teachers so she'll help with them."

Oh, how could I forget?

Sage was a teachers' favorite. Always a helping hands to the educator and respecting them. She was an excellent student and a confident speaker in her class. She did get engaged into fights, but I guess, the teacher had to overlook her aggressive natural on the battle field due to her sweet and intelligent personality in the classroom. She was the star student after all.

 But currently, the main problem was to sit with Ryan.

Underneath those striking good looks, there was a devilish creature who always searched for a chance to tease me, and of course, to call me by strange nicknames. 

He never really did anything inappropriate or anything that would offend me, but just staying near him caused an outlandish sensation in me, which was indescribable. Just the way he stared at me was enough to push me deep inside the ground.

With a sigh, I went near the bus with Ryan right behind me, smirking as usual.

"You go first," I ordered.

"No, you go first," he replied. 

"I said first," I said.

"But I said second."