More than Coronation

"I am the king....I am the king..." Lincoln hissed in the dressing room of the massive palace. It was not his little Kingdom but Katarin's--even if he had killed the man.

"My lord, are you alright?" A servant asked, as the rest continued fussing over him and sizing his outfit. What little belly he had, had from Katarin's off spring was gone. It was still a glorious feeling to own his body again but terror was now always present deep down.

"Fine," he replied steadily, studying the authentic chain mail, poking out from under the green, brown, and white decorative cotton tunic,  and then his red, rich satin cape with spotted edges. In addition he also had his sword. He looked like a warrior, and he wasn't to pleased with that--but none the less it was what he was expected to wear, as he was coroneted the high king.

It had been a few weeks back he had killed Katarin, the day still as bright and colorful in his head as though it had happened only moments ago. He had killed the king, fought off Katarin's highest guards and challenged Katarin's replacements. Now that he had successfully taken his place he was going to be crowned.

And all over again his palms were sweaty and the air seemed to have been taken from the room. It would be the first time in over a few centuries that the proper bloodline was ruling. Carlo had explained his heritage. Explain what had happened, and why Lincoln was over a century old but couldn't remember anything.

Katarin's family line had taken the throne after gaining to much power. They overthrew Carlo's parents and slaughtered them. Carlo had fled and found his mate, who had then went to war to fight for Carlo's safety. Carlo's mate Aleksander Bensen was suppose to be the rightful queen, and provide children for his king, Carlo. But because of circomstances, and the fact he had been raised as a warrior he had to lead armies, and thus acquired his wound which lead to his death during childbirth.

Carlo had tried keeping Lincoln safe by giving him away but it had only lead to the Bounty Hunter's capture--by Katarin's bloodline. The previous king had kept him as a gift for his son, Katarin, in hopes of the boys mating and producing a new powerful bloodline, that couldn't be over thrown.

Lincoln smiled, but he had done just that, and now he was going to be king. He knew he shouldn't be, especially with Valkyrie as his mate. But it was his bloodline that held royalty and though he was officially Valkyrie's, he was not going to hand over his power to be a queen. Valkyrie would just have to be his Commander of the Guards.

Lincoln smiled wider, at how understanding his mate was. That how though Valkyrie knew he was the dominate male, he was kind to Lincoln and never forced him to do anything he didn't want. That he was there to be Lincoln's equal,  and nothing more.  That Valkyrie loved Lincoln for who he was and didn't expect anything in return. The warrior was a true mate, and the warrior was his true mate.

*****

The Bounty Hunter, or rather King Lincoln, couldn't remember anything of his coronation other than standing in front of thousands, as his mate and new royal cabinet spoke affirmatively telling Lincoln's story, and then crowned him. It was what was after that he did remember.

There was no surge of hunger as the crown was placed on his head, no desires to do rash or stupid things, for Lincoln had everything he wanted: his mate, his children, and his health. But as he stood in front of those thousands of people he knew he couldn't have that if he didn't speak the truth.  

"As your new king, I have only one new rule. Who you love is who you love, I don't care if you are the same gender, and for that matter I am breaking the previous law that stood in place. No one will ever be streaked or burned to death again for being homosexual. It is not a sin, and do not fear it."

Lincoln turned to Valkyrie, who looked fearful as the crowd was deathly silent. But Lincoln had to, he just had to. The warrior was his mate, and the love of his life. "Valkyrie is my mate," Lincoln said softly but the system that was set up to make sure everyone heard him, made him seem loud. "I've always loved him, and he will always be mine. In fact I am not satisfied with being your mate Valkyrie,  I want to be your husband. I want to marry you." And with that Lincoln bowed before his Commander of the guard, and then lowered to one knee. "So Valkyrie, will you marry me?" He held out a simple gold ring, one he had been fiddling with for days, and presented it to the massive warrior.

To his horror Valkyrie was terribly silent, and he looked up nearing tears. Valkyrie just smiled though, "Of course my darling," he hissed, pulling out a much fancier diamond ring, then got on one knee as well. It was still dead silent as they exchanged their rings, then the warrior swept Lincoln off his feet and kissed him in front of the crowd.

It was dead silent for another second then everyone erupted in an uproar. Most people were filled with joy but the extremists for homosexuals were obviously screaming in anger. Lincoln didn't care though. He didn't care one bit. He loved Valkyrie and that was all that mattered. Tomorrow he would present the world his children, and then he would be married.

"I love you, Valkyrie," King Lincoln hissed.

"I love you too, Lincoln," Commander of the Guard Valkyrie murmured back.