A Dangerous Rest

Lincoln had never fully heard a grown man scream so much, or so loud, or known it could be so painful. It was not a good day, and now it would take weeks that they didn't have to get back on the road. The assassin left them the minute they neared the next town. Lincoln didn't even care, if she was a traitor and went back to the king. Katarin with or without her was capable of tracking them down, but at least she didn't slither away with the information of were they were headed--for now it looked just west to the sea.

Valkyrie began howling again as Lincoln bound his leg then passed out again. The Bounty Hunter had been trying to kill a smaller boar and it had charged him. Valkyrie had supposedly saved his life but broken his leg in the process. And now because the warrior's leg was broke they were temporary stranded and had to leave the dead pig behind.

"You stupid brute, you jumped to save me and you didn't even see I had my bow fully loaded still and was lining up my shot," Lincoln scolded as Valkyrie showed signs of consciousness. His leg was terrible, and the bone was partially sticking out. Even with the best doctor the limb would never be fully straight again. "It's going to hurt some more....but I'm giving you the best chance of even using it again." That time his voice was actually a whimper. His mate couldn't be hurt now. Not at a time like this, and especially for it to be his leg.

"Lincoln...." Valkyrie moaned, "I thought I was going to lose you."

The Bounty Hunter, put a hand on his face, and kissed his nose as he stopped mending his leg, "I'm better than to let a boar kill me, especially a little one. Never, ever do something so stupid again."

The handsome blue eyed warrior just moaned, and reached out a hand to feel the Bounty Hunter's belly as he worked. Lincoln looked to him, "I'd put your hand down.....I have to pop it back in as much as I can, and I don't want you hurting them." The hand fell, and the warrior sucked in a breath.

Valkyrie still screamed as Lincoln set the bone--going off personal experience on himself--and then bound it tightly between two sticks now. Lincoln clicked his tongue a couple a times and called the horses, who came trotting into view.

"How the fuck am I going to get you on the horse?" Lincoln grunted, sitting beside his agonized mate. At once Valkyrie was caressing his plump belly. It was keeping him from screaming right now so Lincoln was fine with that.

"I have one leg."

"Even on the horse you risk, bending it, and the jolting is going to hurt."  Lincoln spit, and then rose to his feet. "You big dummy, you just have to be over protective don't you?"

Valkyrie didn't respond, so Lincoln gave a softly laugh. "You stay here I am going to get some sturdy sticks and maybe some vine, I have an idea."

********

Getting Valkyrie to a village only a couple a miles away took all of the day and into midnight. Then he had to track a doctor down, and pay them extra, and then struggle to get the massive unconscious being inside.

"What happened?" The old doctor snapped washing his grimy hands in a bucket of water with soap.

"A boar shattered it, and even made it break the skin. I bound it and did everything I could."

"How long ago?"

"Since dawn, getting him here was a bitch."

"I might have to amputate it, if his toes are purple, and if not....oh boy it's going to be a long night. I have to get the bone to connect and stay like that. Thank god you did what you did, you gave him a chance of keeping it," the old man hobbled around collecting up some nasty looking tools. Lincoln shuddered, and unconsciously rubbed his belly. He didn't want his mate and baby daddy to lose his leg--especially with Katarin after him, and the fact, he was hoping tonight they could have had some fun in an inn rather than him be knocked out with a broken leg.