A Loss

Being pent up for nearly a week was no easy task, but alas Marcus Grimm wasn't visiting town anytime soon. By now Lincoln and Valkyrie had gone under fake names, and even purchased a tiny amount of land with an even tinier house--just so suspicions were not raised.

Lincoln was sprawled on the couch, tossing his dagger up and down, while Valkyrie was double checking every inch of the house, to see if it was solid with nothing to be hidden. "Valkyrie, stop with the over the top inspection, this isn't our home. This is just temporary."

"I kind of like it, and I don't want to sell it," the warrior responded crossing his arms and leaning against a wooden column. "I forked over the money and see as I don't have any currently owned home other than this...I want to keep it. We even could take our little ones here some time."

Lincoln bared his teeth, and flicked the dagger so hard it got caught in the ceiling. He swore, and crossed one ankle over the other making no move to get it. "No, I hate this town. They will do fine in the capital city, in my apartment."

"But the farmland and surrounding waterways are beautiful. The air is so pure and clean."

"No."

"Well I say yes, because I'm not selling this little house. We can expand on it, make it more cozy and able to fit us all. We could have a stable and grow crops, and just get away for the summer, or if you have a dangerous mission and want them away."

"Stop with the wanting already," Lincoln spit, rubbing his stomach as though it hurt. Valkyrie didn't bother asking though. Lincoln was in one of those moods. "We don't even know if I am going to make it though having them."

Valkyrie fell silent and didn't respond. "Run through our plan again?"

"Grimm is visiting this Wednesday, two days from now, to pick up his weapons. It is found he is growing a large squadron to attack the capital with, for revenge of what I did to him. We plan to ambush him from the rode....If there are to many men with him, I will merely take out Grimm with my bow, and we will meet the next challenger or man who takes his place.."

"If we get away...but if Grimm has only a few men though, I will handle them and leave Grimm to you."

"Correct, because I now have down his fighting movements."

"Link?"

"What?"

"You're going to have a chest protector right?"

"No, it's not part of my uniform and will slow me down."

"Link," Valkyrie growled, "I don't want you charging in head first, with our babies so exposed."

"Get over it," Lincoln responded dismissingly, making the warrior plod over and sit down heavily on the coffee table. It creaked under his massive weight and he crossed his arms.

"Lincoln, you and I are going to the weapons master tomorrow. We are getting you armor."

"I don't have the small fortune for that," The Bounty Hunter spit, "Besides my stomach isn't going to fit in the snug gear anyway, and even if it does, the blasted twins are going to grow to quickly anyway, for it to fit for long.

"Lincoln...." The blue eyed warrior began, placing a soothing hand on the Bounty Hunter's pudgy stomach. In just a week, he had went from bloated to tiny budge, his muscles fading worse than ever. The twins certainly were growing fast--faster than either of them anticipated.

Lincoln squirmed in his grasp but didn't push him away. He instead sighed heavily and crossed his arms casually, closing his eyes.

"You smell weird..." Valkyrie suddenly proclaimed, twisting his head in, angling his ear at the Bounty Hunter's belly, "Like death...but...their little hearts sound just fine."