On a Path

Because of going to bed so early the previous evening Lincoln woke way to early in the morning the next day. Dawn hadn't even come, but he didn't care. He listened to Valkyrie's steady breathing then slithered from the warrior's warm grasp. He had waken only to eat the night before, and found himself surrounded by all the things Valkyrie had assumed would make him feel better. From candy rich in sugar or honey, to a roasted duck to wine. Lincoln hadn't complained, it certainly had been fun to each such nice food after weeks of horseback and cold meals, but he wouldn't talk to the warrior either.

Dressing in his sinister trench coat, and tucking his hat on his head he eased himself across the room without making a sound--one of the only benefits of not being a massive warrior but rather a small averaged sized man, with a limber build yet solid muscles. Valkyrie was going to kill him later, but right now Lincoln needed to do his job. He was going to go crazy if he even let his mind settle on the fact he was pregnant with twins.

The want to abort the babies was growing on him with each passing second. He needed to consider his job, his life style, his loyalty to the king, and his very well own damn life. Before opening the door, Lincoln realized no one would talk to him if he looked so dark and twisty. Especially now that he didn't look nearly as friendly because of the jagged scar on his face.

So he took of the hat, sent it down softly, and then peeled of his trench coat. Putting on some softer boots to slip in and around quietly he dressed in a loose green sweater, that sorta kind of matched his brown combat pants, and black animal hide boots.

With a scowl he fluffed up his once again longer curly hair on purpose. People always like the hair with him. It made him look so utterly defenseless, and his big brown eyes never helped either. With that he tucked away some daggers and slid free from the room.

A lonely cook and apprentice were the only ones awake, and preparing their sole job of the day, breakfast. Lincoln gave them a friendly smile, and leaned over the counter. The cook ignored him but the younger mid-twenties--like himself--female apprentice smiled back and came to him. Lincoln, though not drop dead gorgeous like Valkyrie, always had a way with women, and his supple friendly face had a handsome aura about it.  

He winked at her, making her giggle,  "Would you happen to know  a Marcus Grimm?"

She shivered, and her reaction told her everything. He smiled and eased himself onto a stool. "It's okay, I don't work nor trade with him. Can you tell me about him?"

"He was in here a few days ago. He had quite the few hidden guards. They always were only around really early or really late in the day. I live on the other end of town in the last little cottage," she winked back at him, "Which I get home at around noon," her voice grew to a purr. He gave her a wicked smirk that he knew had her insides turning, then placed a delicate hand on the table.

"So...how does that make you know about...Mr. Grimm?"

"He used to have meetings in the morning, a little before this time, with his men right outside the wall. They were plotting something no good, but what I don't know."

Lincoln nodded, "Any idea if he is still in town?"

"I'd check with the weapons master....now I have like a twenty minute leeway...." she placed her and on his, but instead of making him itch like it used to, it revolted him.

None the less he purred back at her and leaned in, making sure his breath tickled her ear, "Sorry honey, I have work to do and bad men to kill. A sweet little flirt like you is only going to get in my way. Perhaps another time." Lincoln dragged his lips across her cheek gently as he pulled back, and made her gave a slight squeal. It made her feel special, and he knew he now had her in his grasp if he needed further help...though he bet now there would be a fee.

With a wink, he turned on heel and left. Outside the world was deathly quiet and he slunk into only the darkest shadows. By now, his stomach was churning, and any smell of a warm fire going or traces of food that could be cooking at a time like this was making him sick.

Unable to resist it any more, he grabbed the side of the building and got violently sick. He made it as quiet as possible, and then took a moment to catch himself. Straightening up, he continued on his way with slightly shaky legs. 

By now he could smell the way to the weapons master and his forge. The tang of iron and other metals, as well as the burning of coal and that hot flame. The smell was a welcoming to the Bounty Hunter though, it also made him kind of sick again.

He paused checking the darkness, before slithering across the street. He could feel a shift inside him again and shuddered, as he stopped in the darkness. He lifted his shirt and over coat, and placed a hand on his warm stomach. He could feel a tightness now that wasn't his muscles, but rather an every so tiny bump.

His heart raced. It wasn't from fear this time, but because of the fact he had family now. He had lost everyone when he was about nine, and no orphanage would take him in. The king had though, after seeing Lincoln's will to survive, and the way he'd use everything he'd know to slip in and out of places. No, the king hadn't personally taken him in, but the generals had fed him and trained him.

But now...now that was all different. Lincoln had two of his very own babies. Two, soon to be new additions to his family. He wouldn't let anything happened to them. He closed his eyes swearing an oath. Nothing would come between him and his unborn children, and even after they were born he would never let anything happen to them. Never let any harm or pain upon them, or let death meet them like the rest of his family.

With a smile the Bounty Hunter looked down just holding the tiny buldge, decating a few moments to them, to understand they really were there. He wasn't alone anymore, and though he wasn't ready to be a parent, he was ready to have a blood relation to him--to simply not be the last of his family.

"Oh," he hissed to himself, "I don't know how I'm going to care for you...let alone even birth you...but I promise I will do my best. I promise I will be there for you, even if I don't make it though birth, I will always watch over you."

Dropping his hands he straighting his back, and continued on his way. He needed to stop Marcus Grimm before he had an actual belly, or came even close to having them. Because birth was going to be no easy task, and he more than likely wasn't going to make it, but he knew Valkyrie, would care for them like nothing else--and even if he didn't make it, he planned to in the afterworld.

Having a belly wouldn't be easy tolerable either. He need to kill the tyrant, and kill him soon. A belly would do nothing but slow him and be a weakness. And it wasn't for his safety he feared but the fact he didn't want to carry his twins into a full out war with no armor or protection, and when they were so patrouted from his body.

Lincoln gritted his teeth, feeling a dagger hidden on his thigh. Marcus Grim was going to die. And he was going to die quiet soon