Chapter 22

It's been nearly two weeks since I have spoken to Harry. It's been a little over two weeks since I've seen or spoken to Zayn.

The second was under my discretion. I've been trying to avoid Zayn ever since the party. I haven't been to the Starbucks he works at since the first day I got here. I go to the one on the other side of campus now. It's a bit farther, but my daily coffee run is a must. I've also avoided the main pavillion of the Arts wing where the sculpture garden is located, since I know he walks around there to get to his classes. Instead, I go around the back entrance of the film building to get to my Screenwriting class. So far, I've been lucky enough not to run into him. But I know this won't last forever.

As for the first, I honestly have no idea why I haven't spoken to Harry. I know it has something to do with that day in Psyche when he basically barged out before class had even started, after he had looked intensely at his phone. But I still don't know why he left so abruptly or why he hasn't said a word to me by now. What happened?

At first, I thought he might have stormed out because he had gotten a text from Brittany or something. It made me sick.

But then he didn't show up for class the rest of that week. I began to think maybe something happened. Maybe he had found out that something horrible had happened to one of his family members, like his mom, sister, dad or even worse, his nana. This thought clouded my mind all of that weekend. I was actually worried and concerned for him. By Sunday, I finally built up enough concern to ask Eleanor about it. Nonchalantly, of course. She said Harry was fine. Harry and Louis just had a game the day before and he had even scored the winning goal, she told me. So I guess my second assumption was also incorrect.

The following week, Harry was back in class though he always came late and left right when the bell rang. He never once said a word directed to me, though he did stare a lot. Whenever I would sneak looks in his direction, his emerald eyes were what I would be greeted with. But when he caught me looking back, he would avert his eyes quickly.

Even today, as I sit here on the second day of Psyche class for this week. My eyes are on the PowerPoint that Ms. Tilbert is showing us on Freud's theories on neurosis, but I know that Harry's eyes aren't. I'm almost 100% certain that they are on me. I turn my head to the right and my eyes spot the familiar green ones across the room. He quickly turns to face the front. See, I was right.

A few minutes later, the bell rings. By the time I've gathered my books and start heading for the door, Harry is long gone. He's avoiding me. Does that mean he left class that day because of me? What did I do? I thought that him declaring us as friends meant he'd be bothering me a lot more, but I guess that's not the case. Does that mean we're not friends anymore?

Not that I care if we were or weren't. I didn't really consider him a friend in the first place. It's for the best that we're not talking anymore. He's always just distracting me from my work and what needs to be done, with his constant bothering and showing up randomly wherever I go. He probably just does this with every girl he meets. He's all friendly and nice to them for a while until he loses interest and then moves on to the next girl he sees. Heck, he's probably off befriending some other girl right now! I knew right from the start that he was one of those guys. I just can't believe I doubted my first judgments for a while. Screw 'never judge a book by its cover!' The cover is always a snippet of what's inside. From Harry's cover, you can tell he's the player who gets everything he wants. If you get to know him, you'll see that he is exactly like his cover. Just another rich popular player. You're so dumb for thinking otherwise, Bree!

As I am walking back home to Rieber Hall, I catch up with Allie and Eleanor in the parking lot.

"Hey, Bree! We're going off for a coffee run, wanna come?" Eleanor waves and hollers across the lot to me. They are both standing beside El's Mini Cooper, getting ready to head off. Well, I could go for a coffee right now. I nod and walk over to them. I'm not surprised when they ask me to sit in the backseat. I'm kind used to it already. Besides, they're both in a full on conversation about some winter formal event thing. I guess Eleanor is also part of the Social Affairs Committee. I still don't regret not going though. I would never join anything that was run by Brittany the barbie wench.