Prologue

It was Friday, Friday afternoon. It was bright and sunny out, as it is on most days here. We rode our bikes down the wide road in our friendly neighbourhood. The beads on the spokes of my bike jingled loudly as I tried my best to keep up with him. Why does he always have to leave me chasing behind him when he takes me out?

As we turned at the corner of the block he stopped abruptly and turned.

"Can you hurry up Bree? Jeez! Even Mr. Slow-ass is faster than you are."

"I told you to stop calling Mr. Speckles that!" I snapped, as I defended my pet turtle.

"Yeah, whatever. I'm leaving you behind. I can't wait three hours for you to finally pedal the way home. Like honestly, who learns how to ride a bike at twelve?" He snickered as he turned back around.

"I'm telling mom that you left me and that you made fun of me again!"

"You're such a snitch!" he shouted over his shoulder as he sped down the small hill.

Despite our constant fighting growing up, I knew deep down that he really he loved me.

"Wait for me! I can't go down alone! Benji!" I whined which just made him pedal faster.

I started to pedal, the bike wobbling furiously as I kick started after him. I decided to go slow because I didn't want another gash on my knee. I wish dad had taught me how to ride a bike sooner.

He was almost at the end of the hill about to turn onto the sidewalk when time stood still.

What happened next still haunts me to this day. The loud screeching of the tires, the black bike bouncing off the road and onto the side walk, his body in the air, the wind flying through his beautiful brown hair before he landed on the ground, the red puddle that started to form beside his head.

I remember the high-pitched scream that escaped from my lungs as I zoomed down the hill. I screamed his name but he wouldn't look up.

As I neared I saw the car. A silver one that dazzled in the sunlight. The glare bounced off of my eyes and blinded me with a white light for a second. I could've sworn I saw my brother's calm smiling face in that moment.

I realized that I was going way too fast for my skill level a little too late. When I pulled the brake handle, the rubber of the back wheel made a loud screeching noise as it skid across pavement and the front wheel lost control. I flipped off my bicycle.

I saw a slightly blurred figure, a girl in a dress, across a yard. I felt something hard bang against my old red and blue helmet and a sharp pain through my side before my vision blurred.

I heard clicking and clacking.

I drifted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, so this is my first ever wattpad book. I'm actually really nervous to be publishing it so tell me what you guys think :) Do you like the intro and plot so far? Please COMMENT and VOTE cuz it would mean the world. I'll be posting the next chapters very soon so please be patient. Thanks for reading loves x