Chapter 29

"Well uh, thanks for taking me out to all those places. I had a really good time." I turn and admit to him as he shuts off the ignition in the parking lot of my dorm building.

"No problem. I was hoping you would." His emerald eyes meet mine and the expression on his face surprised me. He looks so...shy and humbled; almost like an innocent little boy. It's so foreign from the usual confident and cocky look that he wears. It's cute and heart-warming really. I give him a small sincere smile in return before turning to get out of the convertible.

"Wait!" He grabs my arm and turns me back to face him, causing bumps and tingles to form on my bare pale skin. He clicks open the glove compartment on my side, pulling out and handing me a small poorly wrapped rectangular box.

"But you already gave me my present," I remind him, gesturing to the leather bracelet on my arm. I absolutely loved the gift he gave to me. It was beautiful yet simple, and so completely meaningful. Who knew Harry Styles could be one of the most thoughtful guys ever?

"I know, but this is the second part. I mean, I can't just give you that. Open it. I promise, you'll love it." He gives me his cheeky Harry smile, coaxing me to tear away the wrapper. I give in to his persuasions and my curiosity, and slowly begin to unveil the gift.

It's a book. I flip it over in my hands to read the title, though I already have an idea in my head. My thoughts are confirmed as I see the words written in script on the front cover. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This version is unlike the ones I've seen before. The hardcover is a plain card stock creamy beige color with the words and silhouette of a mockingbird inked in beautifully. The spine is covered in a golden binding using the same inking technique and writing as the front. It's one of the prettiest books I've ever seen! So much better than my old ratty paperback copy at home.

"Flip it open to the very first page," he instructs and I follow. My eyes meet the dark written ink alongside the printed words of the title and I let out a small gasp. I look over to him in astonishment. His eyes are sparkling under the moonlight with hopeful happiness.

"How the-Where did you get this?!" I exclaim, and his smile widens at my obvious excited amazement.

"Oh, from Harper Lee. It's one of the special first edition copies. Only a few were released publicly," he says casually.

"No way! How did you get her to write this? I-I thought she was dead."

"Oh no, she's very much alive. Old, but still alive. She lives at the same retirement home as my nan, so I got to know her quite well," he explains as I stare at him in shock.

I can't believe he knows Harper Lee, let alone get her to sign a book for me! Then again, he probably knows tons of famous people, he is a rich boy living in LA, after all. She is probably one of the many celebrities he has on his contact list. Whereas the most famous person I've ever met was the crimes newscaster of the SF News program who interviewed my family after Ben died; which was definitely not on the best terms. I glance down at the personalized signed note from none other than the famous author of the novel herself.

To: Harry's friend, Bree.

Always Remember,

It's a sin to kill a mockingbird.

-Harper Lee.

"So do you like it?" he asks, and I turn back to face his eyes. I stare into them for a few moments, taking in all the sincerity, hope and beauty portrayed through them. He stares back as we sit there in silence.

"Are you kidding?! I love it! Thank you," I reach over and give him a spontaneous and unexpected hug that he returns immediately. He holds me in his arms for a couple beats before releasing.