Ever After

Josh's POV

November 21st 2013

I stood in the dark, listening in on the cheers from the large crowd. Tonight was the last show of the tour. It was perfect-we were performing in front 42 000 Vancouverites. I was extremely nervous for tonight's performance. Way more than any other concert I'd ever played. Tonight had to be absolutely perfect.

Tonight was the night.

The night I would finally ask Taylor's hand in marriage.

We had been dating for just over a year now. Add that to the relationship we had before, it totaled for just under two years. But we had known each other for almost nine years-it felt like my whole life.

Once apon a time,

I used to romanticize

A lot had changed in those nine years. I had become an entirely different man. From a recovering heroin addict struggling to find himself, to a man just beginning to peak his career.

Used to be somebody, never mind

Don't miss it that much now

The band had changed too. From ratty old wannabe's in the back of a van, to four successful musicians living their dream.

I think it's sinking in

Days that I wonder where I've been

There was no more struggling. I looked around at the three men standing by me, waiting for their cues. They all had the same look. Happiness, pride. Even now, we were still soaking it all in.

Gone were the days where we wondered if we would have fans at our concerts. Now we were busy wondering if our show would be sold out, in arenas. Here we were headlining along with a megastar, that just so happened to be my girlfriend.

Marianas Trench and Taylor Swift headline BC Place stadium.

Life couldn't get much better.

In picture perfect porcelain

But I won't loose a pound

The only thing that would make my world better, would be if I was married to Taylor. Might as well complete this fairy-tale with a dream wedding. With the help of the guys, everyone, including Taylors band knew the plan. The only one who didn't know was Taylor herself.

The ring I got her was the same one from before my crash. Thankfully Matt had held onto it for me, and no one told Taylor.

"Hey man," Matt says as he enters Taylor and I's house.

We are having a small 'welcome home' party for me. Only the band and a few other were invited. Since I completely missed all the Christmas parties, I decided to wear my mistletoe hat, and pull out the eggnog.

I quickly dart in to give Matt a smooch, but he dodges to the side, and I completely miss him.

"Woah man. I know I'm hot and all, but I have a girlfriend," he says pulling Nicole in close. "And standards. I have those too."

I let out a chuckle.

As I am usually the life of the party, this one isn't quite as boisterous as before. I am still rather stiff, but it is going away. I only have a few bruises left riddling my body.

As the party goes on, Matt pulls me aside to talk in privacy. I follow him into the bedroom, and close the door behind me.

"What's up Matt?" I ask.

He doesn't reply. Instead, he pulls something from his pocket. He holds it up to me.

"What's that?" I ask. Then I recognize the velvet box. "Is that?"

"Yes. I kept it safe for you. Taylor doesn't know about it," he replies.

"How did you get it?"

"It was on your body, so when the doctor gave us all your stuff, this was included."

He hands it to me. I lift the lid, and there sits the ring, still perfect.

"Thank you so much Matt," I say pulling him into a hug.

"Hey, I always got your back." He lowers his voice. "So when are you planning on doing it? Popping the question."

"Well, I was going to do it on New Years. I had this big plan set up that ended with us on the roof of one of the tallest buildings in Vancouver and fireworks. But I kind of got in a crash," I let out a small laugh. "I have no idea now."

"Well, whenever you do, I'm here to help. I can help set up, or distract Taylor. Anything you need."

"Thanks man."

The ring was gold. Although silver had been coming more into style, I was just too old fashioned. I felt like silver would look too casual. The gold band was small and dainty, but the diamond ontop was anything but. There were smaller diamonds embedded into the band, leading up to the center peice. It was hard to really explain the rest of the decorations on it.

You say I would make a better liar

And never face the music when it's dire

Somehow through this whole tour, I had managed to keep this a secret. It was hard, and difficult at times. Some of which caused Taylor and I to fight.

"Josh, why is everyone staring at me like they know something?" Taylor asks when she walks onto the bus.

"What are you talking about?" I say.

"Did you tell your band some dirty little secret about me?"

"Woah, hey. Don't jump to conclusions like that."

"So you did!"

"No Taylor! Never. You know I wouldn't do that."

"So yesterday when I walked in on you and Matt chatting, and you were acting like you were caught red handed doing something you shouldn't; that was normal? Josh what's going on?"

"I promise that what we were talking about, was started by Matt. It was his conversation-he chose what to talk about. Not me."

I am trying my best not to lie. In fact everything that I am saying is true.

"Josh, I thought we said no secrets."

I clench my jaw. I take a deep breath to control my anger, before I speak.

"I'm not lying to you Taylor. I promise."

"Then why have you been acting all jumpy around me! Josh, we've known each other for a long time. I can tell when something's up."

"There is nothing to worry about Taylor!"

"Then tell me! I'm sick and tired of playing games Josh. I've been hurt enough in my life, and I don't want you to turn into a bad guy!"

I know I should keep my mouth shut, but the words fly out of my mouth before I have a real chance to stop them.

"Do you really think I'm the bad guy Taylor! After everything I've done for you, you think I would cheat on you or something? If you really believe I don't love you, then you can go. You're not worth it."

But she is. I immediately regret the words that flew from my mouth. But before I can apologize and hug and kiss Taylor, she turns and storms out of the bus. She failed at hiding the angry tears streaming down her cheeks.

Shit.

"No wait, Taylor! I didn't mean that!"

I run off after her.

She is already about fifty paces ahead. I run to catch up.

"Taylor! Wait!"

She stops on her heal, and quickly turns to face me.

"If I'm not worth it, then you can leave. I invited you guys to co-headline this tour, I can easily remove you," she threatens.

"No Taylor please," I beg. I take a step forward, but she takes a step back. I felt a sharp pain in my chest. "Taylor, look. It's a surprise okay. Matt and I, we were um planning a surprise for you."

Her face softens.

"Oh. Really?"

"Yeah. We were going to prank you on stage, but I guess not anymore."

So much for not lying to each other, but it is better than saying the real reason.

She walks up and hugs me. Her face is burried in my chest, and she is either laughing, or sobbing-maybe both.

"God Josh, I'm so sorry. I'm just having one of those days where I feel like the whole world is against me. I shouldn't take my stress out on you."

"It's okay Taylor. It's okay."

I pat her head, and rub her back.

We actually did end up pranking her. I ran to Matt when Taylor was sound checking and explained the situation. During 'I Knew You Were Trouble' instead of her regular dancers, we were there. Naturally none of us can dance, so Taylor ended up finishing the song in a laughing fit.

And I breathe disaster, ever after

Throughout the tour, Taylor and I had managed to have a fair share of privacy. Of course, it helped that she had her own bus.

Don't pull away from me now

Of course, with us dating, it was natural for PDA to happen. But when that happened, the guys naturally had to tease.

"Hey pretty girl, can I have this dance; and the next one after that," I sing hugging Taylor from behind.

She is sitting at a table, eating lunch with a mixture of her band and mine.

"Aw, you're learning country music just for her?" Caitlin, Taylor's fiddle player gushed.

"Well, I can't help it. You've got the radio on the country stations all the time," I reply.

"Aw, Joshie-boo you whittle romantic," Matt teases. "I don't know Taylor. I still don't understand how you can get past that horse mouth of his."

A chorus of chuckles follow.

"Hey, I'll stick a horse in your mouth if you don't watch it," I threaten.

"Uh oh. Watch out Taylor, Joshies on his period," Ian whispers loudly enough for the whole table to hear.

More laughter erupts.

Taylor roles her eyes, and gets up.

"Come on Josh. Lets go to my bus. These retards can't handle loneliness," she says.

She pulls me along by my tie, looking back and giving the guys a playful wink. A round of hoots and cat calls comes from them.

Don't you move

Can't you stay where you are, just for now

We are cuddling in the dark, on her bed in her bus. I am softly singing to her.

"I could be your perfect disaster; you could be my ever after."

Taylor smiles bashfully. She picks my hand up, and plays with it. I'm too distracted by her beauty to care what she's doing. I softly stroke her hair.

Everyday I remind myself how grateful I am. Grateful that I found this girl. All I ever did was create major disasters in my love life-it was a proven fact.

Somehow Taylor had fallen in love with me; a man that deserved half the greatness of her.

"I still don't understand," I say, voicing my thoughts.

"Understand what?" Taylor asks.

"How I managed to score you."

She giggles.

"Took a long time," she notices.

I chuckle.

"Every moment was worth it." I inhale, and get a whiff of her perfume. "Why do you love me? I'm not normal, I'm not exceptionally good looking."

It's a question that is always on my mind. Why would someone wanna be with a disaster like myself?

"That's exactly why I love you. You're not normal, and that is exactly why I love you. You're crazy-not boring. And I really don't mind your looks. You're hot, and your eyes are just magical. Sometimes I wonder if you're real or not. You're literally the perfect boyfriend."

I smile. This girl.

"Haven't you asked this question before?" She asks.

"Maybe," I admit, dragging out the word. "But I like the answer. It's a big boost of self-esteem."

She laughs.

We were desperately in love with each other. The kind where it made people go crazy. You know, we were the annoying couple. The stereotypical love birds that were crazy for each other.

But in order for us to stand each other, we did have our slip-ups. They didn't happen very often, and were the most inocent arguments ever. But we would make up almost instantly. It was natural really. And hey, the easiest way to make Taylor stop hating me, would be to sing to her.

Apologies, I'm not myself but I can guarantee

"Hey, do you hear that?" Mike asked as the time to our performance dwindled.

"What, the sound of my heart jumping out my chest? Or my stomach repeatedly turning over?" I asked nervously.

"No, the crowd!"

That when I get back, you won't believe

I listened closely, and made out a pattern in the cheers.

That you knew me well

"They're saying our name!" Matt realized.

I listened harder, and he was right.

"Marianas Trench! Marianas Trench!"

It reminded me of another show, where the crowd was chanting.

I jump onto Taylor's stage B. It's a part of her performance where she's at the back of the arena or stadium. Throughout the tour, I had made a habit of jumping on that stage and doing a cover of a song with Taylor. But tonight, Taylor is mad at me. I had accidentally brought up an old girlfriend, and may have said she was better at something than Taylor. She hasn't talked to me since lunch. So I was going to use this opportunity to fix things.

"...I watched it begin again," Taylor sings, finishing the song.

She doesn't see me, I am behind her. There is already a mic on stage from when Ed Sheeran came on, so I walk to it with just my guitar.

"Boo!" I say.

Taylor jumps in surprise, and turns towards me.

"Oh, Josh," she says trying not to sound angry-I can tell she stil is.

I put my plan into action.

"Alright Los Angeles. I need your help," I say into the mic. "Today I messed up a little, and now Taylor is mad at me. So I need you guys to help convince her that I'm super sorry and that she should forgive me."

I take a side glance at Taylor, before I begin singing. She is sitting on her stool, waiting to see what I am up too.

"Her hair is Harlow gold, her lips sweet surprise. Her hands are never cold, she's got Bette Davis eyes," I sing.

Instantly, I can see Taylor struggling to not smile. This is one of her old favorite songs.

By the end of the song, I had gotten her to smile, and I knew she was putty in my hands.

"So Taylor, will you please forgive me?" I plead.

The crowd begins to chant.

"Forgive him! Forgive him!"

Looks like the people are on my side.

She tries to look angry, and that she's struggling to say yes, but I know that's impossible for her.

"Yes, I forgive you," she mutters.

I cheer along with the crowd. I set my guitar down, and pull Taylor into a hug.

"Two minutes guys," a stage hand announced to us.

We huddled up, to do our super secret break. Awkward enough, when we put our hands in, mine was shaking.

"Alright men, lets go out there and blow the shit out of this crowd!" Ian said. "Goodluck to everyone, especially Josh."

He turned to me and gave me a wink.

Don't want to think about it

I'm fuckin' tired of getting sick about it

So many possibilities were running through my head. The possibility that Taylor would say yes, and that she would say no. This handshake that we were doing reminded me of an even scarier time.

"Sir." I shake Taylors fathers hand.

"Josh," he greets.

Taylor's parents had come on tour. They helped doing I'm not sure what. Today, I am taking Scott golfing to talk about things. Taylor just thinks I'm doing that to get on his good side, which is somewhat true.

Now stand back up and be a man about it

We arrive at the golf course by taxi, which I generously payed for. I also payed for everything else, because hey, I need to get on his good side. After a while, we are on the eighth hole, when I decide to being up Taylor.

"So Taylor and I have been together for almost two years now," I say.

Scott is up to hit ball, but turns to look at me. He's never really liked me, and I feel extremely intimidated right now.

"Is that so? Does that include the time you two were together before you broke her heart?" He asks in an authoritive voice.

I gulp. "Yes. It does."

Scott turns to hit the ball, so I can't see his reaction.

"Nice shot," I compliment.

"Sugar coating doesn't work on me son," he explains walking back to the cart.

I silently curse myself.

We drive to where our balls landed. They were relatively close to each other, and Scott's was closer to the hole. I hit mine first, and it lands near the hole.

"So um." I don't really have any idea how to bring this up. "I really love her, you know?"

"I see. And what does that have to so with me?" He asks as he lines up to shoot.

"Well, she's your daughter and-"

"Yes. She's my daughter, who deserves the absolute best."

"Well, next week, when we arrive in Vancouver for the last show, I want to do something special."

"Like what, dedicate a song for her?" He practices his shot.

"Well, yes-"

"What song. One of yours that has dirty swearing in it?"

"No actually. It's a train song." I wait for him to interupt.

"I'm listening," he says after a moment of silence.

"You may have heard of it. It's called Marry Me," I say that just as he shoots.

His shot ends up going haywire, and his gold club went with the ball.

"You what?" He turns to looks me dead in the eye.

"Look, Scott. I really love you're daughter. She means more than anything in the world. I-I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I want to marry her."

Scott keeps his eyes on mine. He stands still for a long time. As the minutes pass, my hope starts to dwindle, and fear starts to rise in my chest. Was this a bad idea?

"Are you asking for my blessing?" He finally speaks up.

"Yes," I nod my head.

He steps towards me. He places his hand on my shoulder.

"You know Josh. You may not look like it, but you are a respectful man, who is successful. I know that you have wronged my daughter, but I understand that you dropped everything to help her." He paused before continuing. "So yes Josh. I give you my blessing."

I played that scene in my head, as I walked towards my position.

And fight for something, fight for something, fight for something, oh

If I was brave enough to face Taylors dad, then I could definately ask her to marry me in front of 42 000 people. Right?

Somehow don't you dare fail, fail me now, ever after

I climbed into my box, and waited. The anticipation I got in here was always the worst. You know when you find the perfect hiding spot in Hide-And-Seek, but then immediately have to pee? Yeah, that was me in here, every single night. The top opened, and I felt myself being lifted. It reminded me of the helicopter ride I took Taylor on last night. We had a beautiful view of Vancouver.

"Wow, Josh look! It's Science World!" Taylor gushes.

She is sitting on my lap, and leaning back on my chest. I had the pleasure of wrapping my arms around her, and breathing in her intoxicating scent.

"And BC Place! Oh my gosh guess what!" Taylor says excitedly.

"What?"

"They're lighting it up red for the concert tomorrow!"

"That's so cool," I say, wrapping her closer to me.

"God. I am so lucky to have you Josh. Have I told you that before?"

"You might have mentioned it a few times," I chuckle.

"Well I don't say it enough. How did you even get a helicopter?"

"I know a guy."

She giggles. "You know everybody."

"You haven't quite seen the finale."

"What's the finale?" She asks.

"I can't tell you it'll ruin the surprise. But I'll give you a hint."

"What's the hint?"

"Well, lets just say this date we're having won't stop till tomorrow."

And it was still going on. Today, before the show, I had taken her to Prado. And then, once Taylor started performing, I would do it.

"I'll be your disaster, ever after," I sang with all my heart. The crowd was absolutely insane. It brought reality in, and for once, reality didn't hurt. "So fire away!"

I looked out into the see of people enjoying the performance. I couldn't believe where this journey had taken me, and it was far from ending.

"Goodbye!"

Ugh. I was so close to updating it yesterday... But then my battery died. Damn. So please tell me what you think of that chapter... Only two more to go:'( and I apologize for the weak ending.. I was rushing myself, and yeah. Also, I have no idea when the next update will be. Soon though. Very soon