I'll Be Home For Christmas

Taylor's POV

"Josh!" I say into the phone. These little phone calls are barely enough to fill my need for him.

"Taylor! How are you?" he asks.

"I could be better; if you were here," I reply. "Only four more days!"

"Right, about that," he says slowly.

"What?" my excitement dwindling fast.

"Um, we've extended the tour."

"How long?"

"We'll be gone for another week."

I sigh. He's been gone for three months. The last time I saw his face was three weeks ago.

"You've been gone for so long," I say.

"I know, I'm sorry. I really miss you," Josh says.

"I miss you too. Way too much. Josh I need you to come home."

"I want to come home, believe me. But I have a career I need to keep alive. I know you understand."

I sigh. I did understand, and no matter how many excuses and words I want to say, it will only make things worse.

"Hey, look on the bright side," Josh continues. "I'll be home for Christmas!"

"Christmas," I exhaust. "It's still November! Isn't that a little far aw-"

"I'll be home for Christmas; you can count on me," Josh sings, interrupting me.

I cant help but smile. He instantly won me over whenever he sang just to me. I let out a small giggle.

"You better be."

I held his hand in mine as I looked out the window. The big snowflakes glided down, then passed out of sight. I looked down at him. Christmas was one of his favorites. At staff Christmas parties, he'd always be the life of the party, running around with mistletoe in his hand, landing a smooch on anyone who got close to him. Drinking so much eggnog he'd end up passing out or throwing up. One of the two. The memories brought a sad smile to my face. He had to wake up now. He had to wake up so that he wouldn't miss Christmas.

I began my daily chat with him. "Well, it's the fifth of December now, and you haven't done anything. You just being lazy in there or what? Christmas is in less than 20 days. You know you can't miss Christmas. It just wouldn't be very festive."

I looked around the drab room. Nothing much decorated the walls but a window that overlooked a busy road.

"You know, it wasn't too long ago when you had extended the tour and I was all mad at you on the phone, because you had been gone way too long. You said that you'd be home for Christmas. In fact you sang it over the phone. Which means you better keep your promise and come home."

I looked up at the walls. The hospital gray, just seemed to eat up all emotion. It didn't feel like Christmas at all. I began to sing to him, just as he had not that long ago.

"I'll be home for Christmas, you can count on me.

Please have snow, and mistletoe.

And presents on the tree."

And then I got an idea.

I got up out of my seat just as Matt walked in.