The Last Time

Taylor's POV

I had fallen hard. Harder than ever for Jake. Maybe it was because I was so desperate for love. Maybe it was because he was the only thing I had left. Whatever it was, I knew that my heart would be absolutely torn to pieces without him. I had been dieting—eating salads and small portions. I would do anything and everything to make this love last.

I hadn't quite moved to Nashville yet. I had only returned a couple of weeks ago and had only just started looking for houses. I would go back touring in March. The next stop, Australia. I had a while yet to find a place.

But reality wasn't quite pulling me to Nashville. Unfortunately, everything that meant something to me, screamed Vancouver. Vancouver was my home. Vancouver was where I belonged. So why did I want to run away?

Maybe it truly was Josh. I just wanted to run away from him, and everything that reminded me of that boy, and every ounce of pain he caused me. But if I was running away from Josh, why did I agree to go to dinner with him today?

I had made myself presentable, and was now waiting in my living room for him to pick me up. We really didn't have any plans on where to go—we'd probably end up at Boston Pizza or something. At least they had healthy-Ish food there. I'd probably just order a small salad; Something I'd be able to choke down.

A knock on my door made me jump a little. A small bubble of anxiety had grown inside my belly. What caused it, I had no clue.

I grabbed my sweater, and walked down the stairs. I took a deep breath, before opening it.

There stood Josh, in all his glory. His flawless skin, his perfectly messy hair—it was almost intoxicating. No. Not almost, it was. I was in love with Jake, no doubt about it. But when Josh was with me, I couldn't help myself but he mystified by his presence.

Josh's POV

Found myself at your door,
Just like all those times before,

I found myself standing in the cold darkness of Vancouver. A chill rushed through me when I walked up to Taylor's door. I knocked three times and waited. I was a little nervous of tonight's outcome. The last time I had seen Taylor in person, we fought.

Ever since returning from touring, our relationship had become tense. But, I wanted to save what little friendship we had. We had a beautiful thing, and this dinner was my mission to keep Taylor in Vancouver.

The door opened, and a rush of memories flooded out. Taylor looked beautiful in an outfit I had seen her wear before. She wore it to one of our many dinner dates.

"Hey Taylor," I greeted, pulling her into a warm hug. She seemed bonier than usual—of course she probably hadn't been staying the healthiest on tour.

"Hey Josh." She flashed a half-hearted smile. I decided to ignore it. I was to busy worrying about this possibly being the last time we ever went to dinner together.

"Ready to eat?" I asked, leading her to my car.

When she didn't reply, I looked behind me. She flashed me another one of those smiles. Again, I ignored how half-hearted it was.

I opened the passenger side door, and let her in. I closed it and walked to the other side. I climbed in, and started it up.

I'm not sure how I got there,
All roads they lead me here.

We ended up at a Boston Pizza, about ten minutes away. I was going to take her to my old favorite restaurant: Hamburger Mary's. It actually wasn't very far from where I used to live.