Contagious

"Ichigo, why are you always scowling?" I simply pushed passed Keigo with my hands stuffed in my pockets. "Are you mad or something?" Keigo was still following me until I heard him gasp. "R-Rukia! Your here!" He ran towards her. "Oh! Beautiful Rukia-" I stopped him before he could continue.

"Hey Rukia." I greeted casually. I waited for her to greet me back with her usual smile.

That smile. I can't even begin to explain how much I love that smile. When I saved her from being executed, her bright eyes and small grin were practically engraved into my thoughts. One of the main reasons why I wanted to save her was to keep her smiling.

But when she didn't smile, it caught me by surprise since I was always expecting it.

"Hi Ichigo," she said.

"Hi Rukia!!" I heard Orihime call her from behind me. I stood still and she walked passed me.

During lunch I decided to approach Rukia. I was calm, it's always hard to get Rukia to say what she's feeling. "Oi, Rukia." I motioned for her to come. "Come here. I need to talk to you."

Rukia sat on the ground leaning against a tree while I stood. "Tell me. What's wrong?"

"Hmm? There's nothing wrong."

"You can tell me you know." She frowned.

"I know that, Ichigo. I'm just tired I guess." I knelt down next to her.

"Rukia." She sighed.

"Your so persistent." She mumbled under her breath. "It's not really a big deal. I just overheard Captain Kurotsuchi talking about the hollow that took over...Kaien."

"Who's Kaien?" I asked softly.

"He was...the former lieutenant of the 13th division." She took a tiny breath, I stayed quiet to let her continue. "He was also, the first and only person that treated me like a normal person once I was adopted into the Kuchiki Clan. I looked up to him. I..." Rukia hugged her knees to her chest and shut her eyes tight.

I felt my heart clench in my chest. I wasn't sure if I should, but I put my arm around her anyway to try and comfort her. I felt her relax against me.

"I couldn't save him. A hollow took over him and I was the one who killed him. Yesterday, I overheard Captain Kurotsuchi talking to Nemu about the hollow, and how he could've been saved. If...if only back then I knew how to save him." Her eyes watered and my heart shattered.

"Rukia..." I held on to her tighter. "What's happened is in the past. Don't hold on to the burden of killing him. There wasn't anything you could do. I'm sure Kaien wouldn't want you to be suffering like you are now." Rukia was silent.

"Thank you."

____________

The bell rang for the next class. "Scowling again, huh Ichigo?" Keigo said. I simply scoffed as a response, then saw Rukia by the classroom door. She gave me the smile I've been waiting. I couldn't help it. Damn that smile! It's contagious.

"No way... Ichigo is smiling?!"

Fin
____________
Shout out to jeily6
...And sorry for not posting in a while