I Tried My Best

I opened the door for Rukia and let her walk through first. "You look really pretty," I said, giving her a small kiss on top of her head.

"Woah! Ichigo! You never come to school dances! Ohh... I see, it's cuz you brought your girlfriend-"

"Just shut up, Keigo," I said calmly with a sigh. I frowned slightly and I felt a blush make its way onto my cheeks.

"Rukia! Looking lovely as always! Ichigo, mind if I dance with her?" Rukia looked up at me to see my response. I was completely frowning now and was fuming in the inside.

"I said shut up, Keigo," I replied, still calm and blushing. I put my arm around Rukia's shoulder and led her to an empty seat. "I'll get you something to drink." I said, giving her a smile. She nodded and sat quietly waiting for me to get back.

Rukia and I found out about our feelings for each other only two days ago. This dance is the perfect opportunity and I feel very hopeful. But, man I'm so nervous. I don't want to mess anything up. I took a deep and shaky breath. I just need to calm down.

I came back with two cups filled with juice. I carefully placed one next to Rukia and spilled some. "Uhh... S-sorry." Rukia smiled and held in a laugh. I seemed to forget everything. Her smile is so beautiful. I couldn't help but smile back, my cheeks were red. Rukia glanced down at the juice that was slowly inching it's way towards her dress. I snapped out and quickly reached for napkins, spilling the other drink. Rukia giggled. I blushed in embarrassment and let out a forced chuckle.

After cleaning the mess we sat quietly together watching everyone have fun. When a slow song came on, I started fidgeting. I wanted to ask her to dance. I'd look at Rukia, then look down. Soon, I finally mustered up some courage. "Do you...wanna dance?" I stuttered just a little.

Rukia took my hand and I brought her to an empty spot on the dance floor where there weren't many people. I placed my hands on her waist. I was so stiff. I was never a good dancer, but I tried my best. As we swayed to the music I accidentally stepped on her foot. "Sorry Rukia. Are you ok??"

"Yeah." She nuzzled her face onto my chest. My heart raced. I held her close to me and we stayed just like this for a couple more songs.

As we left the school, it began to drizzle. I took out an umbrella I brought just in case. I clicked the button, but it wouldn't budge. "Dammit," I muttered. I continued to struggle with the umbrella, and soon it began to pour hard. My hair stuck to my face and our clothes were getting soaked. I looked around and saw all the other students successfully opening and using their umbrella. The guys were walking with there dates together while Rukia and I stood in the rain getting soaked. I sighed and stopped trying to open the umbrella. I was upset and felt hopeless. I stood with my head down and the unopened umbrella in my hand; we were still getting poured on. Then Rukia grabbed my arm making me jump and led me to a dry area.

"Let me try." I handed her the umbrella but it slipped out of my hand and fell to the ground. I clenched my jaw in anger and bent down to pick it up. I handed her the umbrella and she pressed the button as hard as she could. When it wouldn't open, she hit the handle hard against wall, then pressed it again. It opened without warning.

Rukia and I walked together underneath the umbrella. There was just enough space for the two of us. I had on a sad frown as I looked straight ahead. I just kept thinking about how perfect this dance could've gone if I didn't mess up so much. I've been thinking about this dance for a while now. I imagined it going so well. I tried my best...what happened?? Then, what Rukia said really surprised me. "I had a lot of fun, Ichigo." I stopped walking and slowly turned my head to look at her.

"R-really?" She nodded. I breathed out a sigh of relief. I felt so happy. I couldn't say anything. I just grinned widely and took a tiny step towards her. I hugged her and I felt my heart beating fast.

Fin.