Twenty-Four

LA, USA
January 13th
Miley's POV

9:00 PM

"Yeah...it's the baby...my water just broke." I say, then Liam gets up really fast and puts on some jeans.

"How long do you think you've been in labor?" He asks.

"I don't know, all I know now is that my water just broke...and we both know how quickly everything goes after my water breaks." Then he puts on a shirt and is rushing around the room looking for something. "What are you looking for?" I ask.

"Where's the damn hospital bag?!"

"Closet, it's- ow." Then I grab my stomach again. "Liam we need to go."

"What about River? We can't leave him home alone and everyone's asleep by now."

"I don't know...I think we might just have to take him with. Maybe this won't be as fast of a labor and it'll be morning by the time I have the baby that way he can go somewhere." Then I hold my stomach again. "Liam we need to go."

"I'll get you in the car then I'll get River, c'mon." Then he helps me up and I walk to the car with Liam, him holding the hospital bag. "You've got the outfit she's gonna wear in there right?" Liam asks.

"Yes, I've got everything in there. Even her baby blanket. Help me in the car, now would you?" Then he nods, puts the hospital bag in the back and helps me in the passenger seat of his car.

"I'll go grab my keys and River." He says.

"Hurry, ow." Then he leaves and not too long after he came out with River in his arms and the keys in his hand. "I hope you grabbed him some clothes, he needs clothes." I say, then Liam runs into the house and comes out with some clothes for River to change into. Then he locked the house and got in the driver's seat.

"Are we good now? I'd like the doctor to deliver this baby, not me."

"Don't you snap at me." I say.

"I wasn't I wasn't." Then I look back and River was rubbing his eyes, just waking up.

"Mommy? Where are we going? It's dark out." River asks.

"To the hospital, I'm gonna have the baby." I say, then River's eyes light up.

"Is the baby really coming?!" He asks excitedly.

"Oh yes kid, trust me. The baby is definitely coming." Then I take deep breaths.

"How do you know?"

"I can feel the baby inside me, River."

"Why are you breathing so slow?"

"Cause it helps the pain." I reply.

"You're hurting?!"

"Yes, but I'll be okay River."

"Okay." He says.

10:30 PM

When we got to the hospital it was about 10:30, and the contractions felt like they were getting stronger. I got into a gown and got some what confortable on the hospital bed, then Liam came up with the hospital bag and River.

"River, why don't you sit on the chair there?" Liam asks, pointing to a chair that was next to me. Then Liam sat on the other chair that was on the opposite side of me. "How are you doing?"

"I'm in labor, Liam. How's that for an answer?"

"Okay...I meant how are you feeling..."

"Horrible." I say. "This thing needs to hurry up and come out of me!"

"Mommy does it hurt?" River asks.

"Yeah, baby. It does...but I'll be okay as soon as your little sister is born."

"I'm sorry mommy. Did I make you hurt when you had me?"

"Yes, but it only hurt for a little bit." I reply. "Are you excited you're gonna meet your new sister?" Then he nods.

"Yeah!"

"Are you gonna have an epidural this time?" Liam asks me.

"I don't know, if I'm further along then no because it doesn't make any sense to have an epidural then an hour later I have my baby. But if I'm not that far along then yes." I answer, then Dr. Cooper comes in.

"Hello Miley. We just saw each other a few hours ago. The baby didn't seem like she was ready, I figured maybe a week tops early, not two." Then she puts on gloves and sits in front of me.

"Yeah well I guess this baby had other plans." Then she smiles.

"Well, you're about five to six centimeters. Now, it probably won't be that long until you're ready to deliver. But I have to ask anyway: do you want the epidural?"

"Uh, no. If it isn't gonna be that long then I don't think it makes any sense. How long do you think it will be though?" I reply.

"When exactly did you go into labor?" She asks.

"Um, I'm not sure...maybe 8:00-9:00 tonight. That's when they got really bad, maybe it was earlier...about 9:30 ish is when my water broke though.

"Okay, well I'm not sure. Maybe about three more hours. Do you still not want the epidural?"

"No I don't want it. I should be fine." I say, then she nods.

"Okay, well I'll be back in a little while. If anything changes just call me in." Dr. Cooper says, then throws away her gloves and walks out.

"Mommy is three hours a long time?" River asks.

"When you're in labor it is...it shouldn't be too long though, River. The baby will be here soon enough, don't worry." I say reasurringly.

"Okay. I'm tired." He says after a yawn.

"Here, lie down next to me." I say.

"Miles you sure?" Liam asks.

"I'm fine, Liam. It's fine. Help him up next to me." Then Liam nods, and helps River up so he can lie next to me. "Okay River, now you can sleep." Then he closes his eyes and drifts off to sleep.

"What'll happen when you gotta have the baby?" Liam whispers.

"We'll have to tell him to sit in the chair again. Or someone will be here and pick him up already by then."

"Dr. Cooper said three hours. That'll be like...2:00 AM."

"Oh well."

"So our son is just gonna sit in here while you're giving birth to our daughter?"

"He'll have to. Liam, I'm not waking anyone up just so he can leave. He'll just have to stay here. You'll keep him out of the way, he'll listen. Don't worry." I whisper back.

"Okay..." He says, then sits on the chair next to me and hold my hand. Then I take a deep breath. "You'll do great, Miley. I know you will." Then he kisses me.

"I hope you're right." I reply. Hopefully this baby will be here soon...