Sixteen

LA, USA
July 15th
Miley's POV

2:30 PM

I was at my doctor appointment with Liam and River, and Dr. Cooper just started the ultrasound and the heartbeat filled the room. I teared up, even though I've heard it before. It gets me every time, it did when I was pregnant with River.

"So? Can you find out what gender the baby is?" I ask eagerly.

"Calm down, Miley." Liam says. "But seriously, can you?" Then Dr. Cooper laughs.

"Yeah!" River exclaims.

"Shh, quiet River." I say, holding a finger up to my lips.

"Well, if I'm reading everything and looking at everything right...it's a girl." Then my eyes light up, knowing River will have a little sister to protect. I smiled a huge smile, and Liam did the same.

"I have a little sister?" River asks.

"You will have one, soon baby." I reply.

"End of January right?" Liam asks Dr. Cooper.

"Yes, end of January. I'd like to see you in another eight weeks, okay? Preferably the week of September 9th because I'll be gone the week before that and the week after, I've got some things going on. But I made sure I'd be here that week because I had a few people that I wanted to see, including you. You stopped taking your fertility medication when you found out you were pregnant right?"

"Yeah, I was told to stop as soon as I found out. So when I went to the doctor that day I immediately stopped taking the Clomid."

"Okay good. Well, I'll see you in eight weeks. Any questions from either of you?" Dr. Cooper asks us.

"I can't think of anything, you?" I ask Liam.

"Nope, can't think of anything." Liam says, then Dr. Cooper smiles, and wipes off my stomach before she leaves.

"Well, let's go." I say, then put down my shirt and leave with River and Liam.

When we all got home it was about 3:30 so we decided to sit down and watch a movie. When the movie was over it was dinner time. I cooked dinner, then we ate and after that Liam and I played with River for a bit until it was time for him to go to bed. After Liam put River in bed we sat on the couch and cudded up.

"I think it's great we're having a girl." Liam says, then kisses me on the cheek.

"I know, then we can stop because we'll have one boy and one girl." I reply.

"What? No more after that?"

"Liam, I know we kinda want a bg family, but look at how much trouble River is. I mean, he's not a lot of trouble, but it's hard to take care of him when you have your acting career, and I have my singing career." Then he takes a deep breath, and lets it out. Then he sighs.

"About my acting career..."

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Well...a director for a new movie wants me to go and film one." Then I smile.

"That's great, Liam! You should go." Then he sighs again.

"Miley...the movie is in Canada and I'll be gone for seven months." Then it hit me-- he's not gonna be here for the baby when she's born...

"That's awesome." I lie. I couldn't let Liam know I didn't want him to go. He deserves to go, I could tell he wanted to.

"No Miles, it isn't. I won't be back until February. That means I'll miss the baby being born, I don't wanna miss that."

"Liam, you got front row when River was born, literally. I'm sure if you miss the baby being born it will be fine. It's not gonna upset me. I feel like you really want this."

"I do, that's just it. I do. But I also wanna stay here with you. I wouldn't ever forgive myself if I missed her being born. I'm her dad."

"If you really don't wanna miss it, I'll have Noah be there and film it or something. Or we can even skype it. I know you wanna go. So I'm telling you, go."

"I can tell you don't want me to."

"Maybe I don't. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna keep you from doing what you wanna do. I love you, and I don't wanna keep you from doing things you love." I say.

"I love you though, too. I don't wanna go."

"Yes you do, you mean you don't feel like you should go. Right?"

"Right." He says. "I wanna go, but I feel like I should just...stay."

"Liam, you can choose what you wanna do, I'm not gonna make you go and I'm not gonna make you stay. How long do you have until you have to tell him."

"I uh...I gotta tell him either tonight or tomorrow."

"Wait until tomorrow. It's too late to call and you need more time to think." Then I kiss him on the lips. "I think you should go, but I'm not making you. It's your choice. Okay?" Then he nods.

"Alright. I'll think about it some more tonight and tomorrow."

"Thank you for actually thinking about it." Then he kisses me.

"I have to, you told me to. I'm not getting into a fight with you." Then I sigh.

"I'm gonna miss you."

"How do you know I'm gonna say yes?" He asks.

"Because I know you."

"That's no fair. How do you get inside my head?"

"Magic." I joke. "No, I just know you."

"I'm still gonna think about it. I might choose no."

"Don't choose no just because I'm thinking you'll say yes, please."

"Fine." He says, then kisses me again.

We continued to cuddle until it was late. I went to bed a little bit before Liam, because he said he wanted to stay up and think for a little bit. I got into our room, changed into my pajamas, then lied in bed for about an hour before I fell asleep. Seven months in Canada...