Four

LA, USA
January 13th
Miley's POV

"Help daddy blow out his candles, River." I say. It was Liam's birthday. He was thirty-one. He just didn't like to say it.

"I'm old." Liam says after he blows out the candles.

"You are not. Thirty-one is the new...thirty." Then I laugh and he shakes his head. "I'm old."

"If I can't say I'm old you sure as hell can't." Liam protests.

"Fine..." I say.

"Do you like your presents daddy?" River asks Liam.

"Of course I do. Especially the watch you gave me." Then River smiles.

"I picked it out!"

"Of course you did. And you have good taste too."

"No, I didn't lick it." Then Liam and I laugh.

"No I mean you have good tast as in you picked out a really good watch." Liam explains.

"Oh! Mommy give him your present!" River tells me.

"She already gave me mine, River. I have no more presents." Then I smile and go into the room and get his present.

"You mean this one River?" I ask, and River smiles and nods.

"Yes!" He exclaims.

"What's this?" Liam asks, then I hand him a little box.

"Open it and find out." I reply.

"Open it daddy!" River commands Liam, then he unwraps the small box, opens the box, and tears up.

"Miley, is this for real?" Then I nod.

"Yeah...I'm pregnant." Then he stands up, picks me up, and spins me around.

"Really?" He asks again.

"Yes, Liam." I say. Then he smiles and kisses me on the lips.

"Ew!" River says.

"Are you happy?" I ask Liam when we break away, then he smiles and nods.

"Did you set up an appointment? How far are you?" He asks.

"Yes, and about ten weeks if I calculated right. The ultrasound is tomorrow ar noon."

"Can I come?" River asks politely.

"Sure, if it's okay with mommy." Liam replies.

"Sure." I say with a smile.

"Let's eat cake!" River shouts, then I cut the cake and we all eat some.

_________________________________

LA, USA
January 14th
Miley's POV

When I got to the doctor's office I signed in and sat down with River and Liam.

"Mommy why her belly so big?" River asks, pointing to a woman that was pregnant.

"Sweetie, she's carrying a baby in her belly like me." I explain. "Sorry." I say to the woman.

"It's fine." She says.

"Why is your belly small?" River asks.

"Because the baby isn't big yet. The baby will grow which will make my belly bigger, okay?"

"Okay." River says, then Liam laughs.

"Miley?" A nurse asks, then I get up with River and Liam and follow her to a room. She took my weight and vitals then left the room.

"What are they gonna do mommy?" River asks me.

"The doctor will take pictures of the baby in my tummy." I explain. "Then you'll be able to see your little brother or sister."

"Yay!" He shouts, then Dr. Cooper comes in.

"Hello, Miley. And who is this little handsome boy?" She says, then River puts his face into Liam's shirt.

"That's River Aiden Hemsworth." I say.

"Wow, he's sure gotten big. He's what? Three?" She replies, then I nod. "Big for a three year old." Then I laugh.

"Yeah, I know. He's definitely gonna be a tall one."

"And a heartbreaker, he's so cute." Dr. Cooper says. "Go ahead and lift up your shirt. You're ten weeks, right?"

"Yeah." I say, lifting up my shirt. Then she squirts the goo on my stomach, and she starts the ultrasound. A few seconds later I still didn't hear anything. I immediately became worried, and looked at Liam. I could see the worry in his face as well.

"Are they taking pictures mommy?" River asks.

"Um, why can't we hear a heartbeat?" I ask with tears in my eyes.

"Miley..." Dr. Cooper starts to say. "I'm so sorry."

"Did I lose another one?" I ask, almost crying.

"No, you're just not pregnant. I don't see any sign of miscarriage. Did you take a pregnancy test before you came in?"

"Yeah, that's why I came in. I- I thought I was pregnant." Then I sigh. "Why does this keep happening? It's happened like twice before River was born, and now again? Why?" I ask, then start to cry.

"The thing I can tell offer you to do is go to a fertility specialist and see whether you're infertile." She proposes.

"I- I can't be, I got pregnant with River." I argue.

"There is something called secondary infertility. It's where after you can become infertile after one or more pregnancies. It's rare but it can happen." Then she gets a pen and paper. "You can call this number, it's a fertility specialist. Call and make an appointment if you really wanna get pregnant, I suggest this is something you should do if you want another baby." Then I nod. Then I wipe off my stomach, and put my shirt down, then we walk out of the building. We got in the car, and I started to cry.

"Mommy why you crying?" River asks.

"Um...because there is no baby in my belly yet. I thought there was, but there isn't." Then I wipe my tears. "I'll be okay though."

"Will you mommy?" Then I start to cry again.

"Buddy, why don't you give mommy a hug when we get home?" Liam says to River.

"Okay." Then Liam starts the car, and we go home. The one thing I couldn't understand, is why I had this. I got pregnant with River just fine, we weren't even trying. But now when we are it seems like I just can't get pregnant...