Three

LA, USA
December 24th
Milley's POV

Liam and I have been trying for a baby since August, but nothing has happened yet. We figured we'd keep trying for a little longer, then if nothing still happens, we were gonna go to a fertility doctor. Today was River's birthday and my parents, Noah, Braison, Brandi, and Noah's boyfriend Nathan were all here for River's party.

"Happy birthday River, blow out your candles!" I say, then River blows out his three candles on his cake.

"Happy birthday to me." River says, which made everyone laugh. "Hurry and cut the cake." River commands, then Liam cuts the cake and I help hand out slices.

"Uh, no cake for me. I don't really like vagan food." Nathan says, then Noah smacks his arm. "What?"

"Be nice." She whispers.

"It's fine, Noah. Not a lot of people care for it if they're not vegan. Even if it's the better way of life, saving animals." I say blandly.

"Wow, ya really did it this time, Nathan." Noah says.

"Sorry." Nathan replies, then I sigh.

"Well, eat your cake River." I say, then River sits down and digs into his cake. When he was done, he had frosting all over his face.

"Here, let me clean ya up silly boy." I say, then Liam gets up and picks up River.

"I got it." Liam insits.

"You sure?" I ask.

"I'm sure, I can handle a messy child." Then I laugh and he takes River to the bathroom. I keep eating my cake when my mom walks over to me.

"So, you thinking about any other kids?" She asks, then I choke on my cake.

"How'd you know we were trying?" I whisper. "It was Liam wasn't it? Blabber mouth."

"No, I had no idea until now although I had a little idea. I was just asking if you were thinking about it. Ooh! I'm so happy for you!"

"Mom, shh. It's kinda on the down-low until it really happens. You can tell dad, but that's it. Okay? Not even Noah cause I know she'll tell someone who will tell another someone who will tell someone else and eventually it'll get all over the magazines."

"What about the singing thing?" She asks.

"I'll do what I did  last time. Take a little break then go back. But I think I'll do an album before I actually turn up really fat pregnant."

"Miley, you weren't ever fat, you were pregnant. There's a difference." My mom replies.

"That's exactly what Liam kept saying to me. I didn't believe him, but I guess now that there's more than him saying it I gotta believe it." I say.

"You don't have to believe anything. Just be careful. You know after an album you do a tour, just...be careful."

"Mom calm down I will, okay?"

"Okay." She says, then Liam comes back with a cleaned up River. I put my plate down and Liam hands River to me when my mom walks away.

"Well hello not-so-messy River. Did daddy clean you up?" I say to River.

"Yup!" I wanted mommy though.

"See? You're his favorite." Liam says, then I shake my head.

"No, you're his favorite. Duh."

About an hour later everyone left, leaving Liam and me to clean up.

"Mommy want help?" River asks.

"Aw, River. Thanks. Here, go put these cups in the garbage." Then I hand him the plastic cups and River walks over to the garbage to put them away.

"Miles, have you taken a test lately?" Liam whispers to me.

"No, I was thinking about doing it later. Oh, and mom kinda found out." I whisper back.

"What?" He asks normally.

"It kinda slipped out cause she asked if we were gonna try anytime later and I asked how she knew. She said she didn't until I said so, then I told her to tell dad and that's it I promise." Then he sighs.

"Okay." Then River comes back.

"Go ahead and go play now River, we'll clean up the rest." I say.

"Okay." Then he walks off into the living room.

When we were done cleaning up, Liam and I went to check on River. He was still playing in the living room with the animals. I was walking to the bathroom to take a pregnancy test, when River tried to follow me.

"What you doing mommy?" River asks, then Liam comes and picks him up.

"Going to the bathroom. I'll be fine River, go play with daddy." Then Liam walks off with River and I go into the bathroom. I shut and lock the door and peed on the stick. When I was done I flushed and washed my hands, then came out with the stick in my hand.

"What's that?" River asks, coming over to me and pointing at the pregnancy test.

"Uh..." I figured I shouldn't lie. I want him to know. I looked at Liam, and he nodded in agreement that I could tell him.

"Well?" He asks, then I laugh.

"Well, it's a little test to tell me whether you are gonna have a little brother or a little sister." I respond and River smiles.

"Am I am I?" He asks excitedly. I looked down at the test, and it was negative. I felt a blast of sadness and guilt when I saw the negative sign. I told River he was gonna have a sibling like four months ago, and he's been waiting so patiently...now I gotta tell him he's not gonna have a sibling yet.

"Uh...River. Sometimes, things happen, and uh..." Then I tear up. "Well, you're not gonna get a little brother or sister yet." Then I start to cry, and Liam picks up River and they hug me.

"Mommy why are you crying?" River asks.

"Because I'm sad." I answer.

"Why?"

"I really want you to have a little brother or sister and you're not gonna have one yet." I say in tears.

"Don't worry." Then he hugs me again. "I will have one soon." Then he smiles, which makes me smile. Liam puts River down, and he runs off to his room. I start to cry again, and Liam embraces me in his arms.

"Shh, it's okay Miles. It'll happen, just like River said. It'll happen."

"What if it doesn't?" I ask.

"There are plenty of children out there waiting for a wonderful family. We'll adopt." Liam says.

"Okay."

"But it will happen, Miley. You just gotta have faith."